Thursday, July 20, 2006

Who knew??

When the next recipe had been posted, I was worried about cooking for two. I told the boy that I'd just make this for myself because I wasn't sure if he'd like it.

Well, I learned a lesson here.

Tofu-Curried Apple Sandwiches - pressing the tofu

I pressed the tofu รก la Michelle C. - with lotsa heavy stuff and cookbooks, and for only about 20 minutes. On top, you'll see the copy of Vive Le Vegan I won from Dreena Burton's blog!


Tofu-Curried Apple Sandwiches - the salad

For the Curried Apple Salad, I used *gasp* awesome Veganaise with curry powder, cumin, green onion, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper, salt and a Spartan apple. The boy had veto power on the celery, which he isn't a fan of.


Tofu-Curried Apple Sandwiches - in the pan

I was going to broil the tofu in my toaster oven, but decided it would be much faster to fry. The tofu was low-fat, so frying oil be damned!

The tofu was fried with canola, cumin and lemon juice.


IMG_1897.JPGTofu-Curried Apple Sandwiches - before broiling

We didn't have parsley, but I made breadcrumbs from a piece of toasted 12 grain bread. Everything was piled on top of Ace Bakery buns.


Tofu-Curried Apple Sandwiches - final sammich

The result, after about 5 minutes under the broiler.


The verdict: we loved it! I was afraid to mix apples, "mayo" and green onions together because I have this thing about keeping savoury and sweet separate. But the salad was incredibly tasty. And I was scolded for the comment about eating this by myself. I guess I was really just projecting my own food issues. I can totally see me making and eating the salad on its own!

Too bad I cut the recipe in half. There are no leftovers.

I do just have to say that I am loving the weekly challenge of trying a new recipe. Too often I end up just making something quick that I'm familiar with - sloppy joes, pasta, tacos, chili, etc - and never would I have tried most of the recipes listed here. My cooking repertoire has expanded and I'm so happy for that!

3 Comments:

At July 20, 2006 10:58 PM, Blogger Carla said...

ooo ya that's a good lookin' sandwich

 
At July 20, 2006 11:04 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

mmmm, yours looks really good (as opposed to just tasting good!) yum for frying the tofu! i can't believe i didn't cook mine!

 
At July 21, 2006 1:05 PM, Blogger vania said...

Me too - i love that i can guarentee myself at least 1 good and creative dish a week! i made the sandwich last night and loved it - we made the full recipe and ate TOO much - my greedy self didn't want to save any for leftover lunch today! i will post mine later today....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home