Thursday, July 20, 2006

Who knew??

When the next recipe had been posted, I was worried about cooking for two. I told the boy that I'd just make this for myself because I wasn't sure if he'd like it.

Well, I learned a lesson here.

Tofu-Curried Apple Sandwiches - pressing the tofu

I pressed the tofu รก la Michelle C. - with lotsa heavy stuff and cookbooks, and for only about 20 minutes. On top, you'll see the copy of Vive Le Vegan I won from Dreena Burton's blog!


Tofu-Curried Apple Sandwiches - the salad

For the Curried Apple Salad, I used *gasp* awesome Veganaise with curry powder, cumin, green onion, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper, salt and a Spartan apple. The boy had veto power on the celery, which he isn't a fan of.


Tofu-Curried Apple Sandwiches - in the pan

I was going to broil the tofu in my toaster oven, but decided it would be much faster to fry. The tofu was low-fat, so frying oil be damned!

The tofu was fried with canola, cumin and lemon juice.


IMG_1897.JPGTofu-Curried Apple Sandwiches - before broiling

We didn't have parsley, but I made breadcrumbs from a piece of toasted 12 grain bread. Everything was piled on top of Ace Bakery buns.


Tofu-Curried Apple Sandwiches - final sammich

The result, after about 5 minutes under the broiler.


The verdict: we loved it! I was afraid to mix apples, "mayo" and green onions together because I have this thing about keeping savoury and sweet separate. But the salad was incredibly tasty. And I was scolded for the comment about eating this by myself. I guess I was really just projecting my own food issues. I can totally see me making and eating the salad on its own!

Too bad I cut the recipe in half. There are no leftovers.

I do just have to say that I am loving the weekly challenge of trying a new recipe. Too often I end up just making something quick that I'm familiar with - sloppy joes, pasta, tacos, chili, etc - and never would I have tried most of the recipes listed here. My cooking repertoire has expanded and I'm so happy for that!

4 Comments:

At July 20, 2006 10:58 PM, Blogger Carla said...

ooo ya that's a good lookin' sandwich

 
At July 20, 2006 11:04 PM, Blogger michelleknits said...

mmmm, yours looks really good (as opposed to just tasting good!) yum for frying the tofu! i can't believe i didn't cook mine!

 
At July 21, 2006 1:03 AM, Blogger Vegan Knitting said...

I'm into the cookalong for the same reason. We just always fall back on the same old favorites - but why not add some new favorites! And then they inspire to, as you'll see in my next post on my blog about another Vietnamese dish we made after the Pho.

 
At July 21, 2006 1:05 PM, Blogger vania said...

Me too - i love that i can guarentee myself at least 1 good and creative dish a week! i made the sandwich last night and loved it - we made the full recipe and ate TOO much - my greedy self didn't want to save any for leftover lunch today! i will post mine later today....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home