Sunday, July 16, 2006

I'm late Pho dinner!

But it was worth it!

Tonight my husband and I finally made the Pho - having waited until we could get the ingredients we wanted. Here are the broth ingredients: Massel Vegetable stock cubes (THE best brand ever - from Australia!), Tamari, 1/2 small onion and 10 cloves garlic, 2 cinnamon sticks, 2 bay leaves, 2 pods of star anise, and a hunk of ginger.


While the broth was cooking up, I prepared the condiments. Here I'm stirring the thin strips of Whitewave chicken-style seitan I'm lightly browning.

Here are all the condiments laid out, from top to bottom, left to right:
  • basil, mung bean sprouts
  • VegeUSA "shrimp", napa cabbage, seitan
  • green pepper, anaheim chilis and lemon slices, scallions (green onions)


Here is my husband's bowl since he laid everything out so nicely on top. It's a VERY large bowl.

And here's mine after I'd eaten half of it so you can see what it really looks like.
Like Michelle, we found that the flavor really improved in the bottom half of the bowl. We overcooked our noodles a bit but it didn't detract too much. The broth was VERY tasty. The "shrimp" was a great addition, and the seitan was best when eaten with scallions rather than on it's own. I really liked the cabbage - napa cabbage is delicate so it cooked a bit while sitting in the broth and was also delicately flavored.

2 Comments:

At July 16, 2006 9:39 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

ha-- you always find a use for those veggie shrimps! yours looks SO so good!

 
At July 16, 2006 2:30 PM, Blogger Carla said...

nice spread!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home