Sunday, July 16, 2006

Cold Tofu and Curried Apple Salad Sandwiches

Oh, so the "hot" in Hot Tofu and Curried Apple Salad Sandwiches means that you heat the tofu? Not,

It's so cool, it's hot! (?)

Oops.

So I really thought I was following the directions this time. But other than pressing my tofu differently, not heating the tofu, and halving the recipe, I did.

All the ingredients got together to smile nice for the camera, but somehow I left the breadcrumbs out of this group picture. But I left in the safflower oil (though I didn't end up using it). After the oil, there's nayonaise (cause the store I was at didn't have vegenaise -- haven't bought the nasoya brand in years and years!), fresh tofu, curry powder from my favorite Indian store, Dowels, celtic sea salt and telicherry black pepper, rosemary olive bread, leftover chopped celery and scallions from the Pho, apples, and parsley.

Sliced the tofu on the plate (I halved the recipe cause I don't think I could eat the same sandwich four times in a row.)

Here's my method of pressing the tofu: two plates, 8 cans, and if I'm rushing the process, some heavy books. I pressed the tofu for about twenty minutes rather than the suggested hour.

The "mayonnaise" mixture. If I were to do it again, I'd add the mayonnaise last, since I think the mixture was a bit too "mayonnaise"-y. Though I might not be saying that if I were using vegenaise, queen of the vegan mayonnaises!

Then I piled the curried apple salad onto the tofu and bread. Notice the problem?

Once I piled the parsley on, I remembered I was supposed to fry the tofu!

But I put them in the oven like this instead.

Here's what they looked like right before we ate them! We each saved half of our sandwich for later cause it was really filling.

It probably would have been tastier if I fried it, though I still really like it. The curry/apple combination was completely yummy. The tofu was super fresh (bought in bulk), so I bet that helped since it was mostly uncooked. If I wanted to spend more time on it, I bet marinating the tofu in a curry marinade would make it taste extra curry-tastic. But it was very nice for a relatively quick lunch!

1 Comments:

At July 16, 2006 2:31 PM, Blogger Carla said...

I made it too, but as an open-faced sandwich. It was kinda messy. The apple-nayo-celery mixture is awesome, uh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home