Thursday, July 13, 2006

Pho me!

I made several modifications, based on taste and availablity. For the condiments, we used red chard, bok choy, bean sprouts, orange pepper, mushrooms, green onions and green beans. I didn't have star anise or chinese 5 spice, so to the broth I added a couple of pinches of cinnamon and a dash of cloves, in addition to the other ingredients.

Vegan Pho - condiments


The noodles needed a bit of cooking, despite soaking with boiling water for half an hour.

Vegan Pho - rice noodles


It was fun assembling everything first. I couldn't find Sri Racha, which was upsetting because I've heard such good things about it. But I did find a thai chili garlic sauce which is taaaaas-ty!

Vegan Pho - condiments in bowl


I realised after that I'd forgotten the basil and cilantro. Oh well, more for my second helping ;)

Vegan Pho - final soup


At first, the soup was very bland despite the chili sauce. But then we discovered that the tastiness must have fallen to the bottom of the bowl because when we used a spoon instead of chopsticks it got more flavourful! By the end, I was really enjoying it!

2 Comments:

At July 13, 2006 11:21 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

ooh, i'd love to have red chard in mine! i love the colors of yours, too! even though i've had so much pho over the last few days, it makes me hungry! soo...apparently, according to the thai/indonesian store in chinatown where i meant to stock up on sriracha (all this talk about it makes me feel like i should get extra), the sriracha i usually get is not the chili sauce of choice. he pointed me to a sauce made in thailand that's still called sriracha but he said it's much better. i wonder why he even stocks the other one cause as soon as i picked up the original sriracha, he said "oh no, try this one, it's made in thailand. that one's made in california."

i didn't end up buying it cause i forgot my wallet at home but that's another story.

just finished our leftovers up today (i made double the broth), but i still have tons of vegetables left -- what to make next?

oh, and it's almost friday, what are we making????

 
At July 14, 2006 9:09 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Mine (not posted yet) was a tad bland too, but I didn't use all the spices it called for. It made my apt smell great though, I left briefly and came back to a lovely cinnamony savoury aroma.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home