Sunday, July 16, 2006

Tofu and Curried Apple Salad Sandwiches (variations on a theme)

Once again I had the ingredients on hand and actually got a chance to make the recipe early. In keeping with my dietary restrictions, I took some liberties, using fat-free Nayonnaise instead of Veganaise and cutting way down on the bread. Also, since the "salad-ness" of the recipe appealed more to me than the "sandwich-ness" I created a variation on my variation.

I cut and pressed my tofu (finally finding a use for all of that soymilk I bought on sale).


















Instead of frying the tofu in oil I "grilled" it on my small Foreman grill (sprayed very lightly with olive oil). I thought one cup of mayonnaise sounded like a lot, even if it is fat free, so I started with a big glop of it (maybe about 1/4 cup, I didn't measure it), figuring I could always add more later. I also for some reason had something called "lemon curry" powder on my spice rack -- I have no idea how I ended up with that but decided to give it a try and mixed it all together. I also added some sliced almonds I had in the cupboard.



















I layered the tofu on the bread and the salad on top and broiled it, skipping the breadcrumbs and the parsley (since I didn't have any). I only made one sandwich, since it was just for me. While that was broiling I cubed up the rest of the tofu and mixed it in with the apple/celery/onion mix and, since it was now a little dry, another small "glop" of Nayonnaise.










I enjoyed the open-face broiled sandwich, but found the tofu layer a bit bland. I think I'll prefer eating the rest of the mixture as a salad rather than as a sandwich. I expect the flavors will continue to meld in the fridge. I'll probably eat it just as it is, but it could easily be scooped into a pita pocket or wrapped up in a tortilla, too.

This was a lot of fun, and a pretty good challenge for me. Definitely a keeper.

2 Comments:

At July 17, 2006 12:30 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

oh, grilled tofu=perfect!

 
At July 17, 2006 8:36 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Cool, so the George Foreman Grill is a good thing for vegans, too!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home