Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Tofurky sandwich with cheeze sauce and roasted pepper

I love sandwiches, they are the best. I decided to use the cheeze sauce on a sandwich, but since I already like tofutti grilled cheeze sandwiches enough as it is, I decided to put the cheeze on something more substantial. Also, I had a green pepper in my fridge, which I decided to roast.

The recipe was a little short on details, and I mostly followed it. I tried to half it (though, I didn't measure anything). I don't have garlic or onion powder, so I didn't add that, but I did throw in some mustard powder. I didn't have raw cashew butter (or any cashew butter), but I did have some roasted cashews left over from Christmas. I put those in.

I was pleasantly surprised by the cheeze, after reading Mishka's account of it. I liked it (it tasted pretty similar to that "macaroni hates cheese" recipe from a while back) a lot.


I put some veganaise on an Ace Bakery demi-loaf, then put the cheese on top of that. Tofurky slices and roasted green peppers on the other side.

I popped the sandwiches into the oven for a few minutes. This sandwich was delicious (if a bit messy with the cheeze).

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At January 10, 2007 10:16 AM, Blogger vania said...

I live for sandwiches myself and this one looks delicious! I'm glad your cheeze turned out positive, after Mishka's review i was doubtful.

 
At January 10, 2007 10:53 AM, Blogger mishka said...

I'm sure I did something wrong - I'm glad you cheese turned out. Thing is, I like mac & "cheese" using nutritional yeast, and I sprinkle yeast on a lot of my food. Maybe I'll give 'er another try one day soon.

 
At January 10, 2007 11:02 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Oh ya, that looks good. Do you think it stores ok, or do you have to eat it all at once?

 
At January 10, 2007 11:05 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

i would suggest making a smaller amount than the recipe makes, and using it all at once. it might keep, but i doubt for too long.

 
At January 10, 2007 11:11 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Ok, thanks.

And fyi to everyone: last night I finally upgraded the Blogger account here, which is why we have the fancy "labels" now, squee! I really dig the upgrade interface for posting and not having to log in over again.

 
At January 10, 2007 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look SO good. The roasted green peppers must have added such a great flavor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home