Thursday, January 04, 2007

Black Bean Mushies

Yea! I can add a post! I think Blogger/Google have fixed up a few kinks so that the old and new bloggers can live together happily...

I finally made a cookalong recipe, after a few weeks of a hiatus. We made the Black Bean Patties last night and for the most part they were good. I was a bit hesitant about the 1/4 apple sauce until i realized that was for 8 portions. So i halved the recipe, and still came away with 7 large parties. Thank goodness i halved it or i'd be eating black bean mush for weeks!

I had to make some substitutions because i didn't have everything on the recipe. For instance, instead of cilantro (which i love but J hates), i used fresh dill. It added a lovely touch - made me feel like i was eating a burger in the summer. And i subbed chili powder for the jalepeno peppers. I also couldn't find buns at the corner store so i bought toast bread.

The patties were quite wet but they did fry up nicely. J thought the texture was just a bit too weird. While the cornmeal helped, his verdict was that it was all just a bit too mushy. And i agree. We added a nice fresh salad and chips/tortillas to the meal.

We're both having some today for lunch so i hope it works out okay!

5 Comments:

At January 06, 2007 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look good!!! They kind of look like veg-meat-loaf sammiches. :O)

So it's Saturday, and I am wondering if anyone would be interested in making this cheeze recipe in a free-for-all cheeze cook-along (mac n' cheeze, grilled cheeze, nacho cheeze etc...):

http://veganrepresent.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806

I've been wanting to try making cheeze for a while, particularly with the citric acid to find out if it would give the cheeze a sharp cheddar flavor. If someone else has a better recipe suggestion, of course, feel free to post it. :O)

 
At January 06, 2007 4:30 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Oooo that looks good. Dill sounds like a great sub, I love dill!

Cheeze idea is good with me, though I've been a slacker here. Post away Brenda! (I have a disgusting cold virus of some sort and laryngitis! I sound worse than Marge Simpson's mother!)

 
At January 06, 2007 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't been able to do the recipe this week, but I'd definitely be up for a mac'n'cheese!

 
At January 06, 2007 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, I hope that you get better soon Carla!!! :O(

 
At June 21, 2022 12:41 PM, Anonymous Drew Norris said...

Thaanks for a great read

 

Post a Comment

<< Home