Thursday, December 21, 2006

Soup is Love

I am writing this from my sister's house in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I'm here because 3 hours shy of a week ago, she gave birth to my lovely niece! I love being here to help out my sister and Eric and to see my niece in her first moments of life. I wanted to make them a soup stuffed to the brim with healthy things and yummy things.

So I was going to wait to post until I got home, but I was thinking of more food to make for them later, and I came across this as I flipped through Vegan on a Shoestring, one of the cookbooks I brought with me:

Eating hot soup can warm up your belly and your toes, soothe your heart and soul. No other food can transport love so efficiently.

And I wanted to share that with you.

While I'm here, I'll tell you about the soup I made the new mommy and daddy today. It was a creamy winter squash soup with winter vegetables and herbs and spices. Here's how you make it:

Heat a couple tbs. olive oil in pot and add chopped leeks and chopped garlic. Stir and cook for a bit and then add rosemary and cumin. Cook for a bit more and then add a lot of peeled and chopped butternut squash and random winter squash (I think these are from their produce box), parsnip, and carrot. Stir and cook for a bit, and then add coconut milk, soymilk, and some water (if you need more liquid) and (this is where it always gets hazy) some more spices. I remember: coriander, ginger, nutmeg, cinammon, sweet curry, paprika, turmeric, sea salt, ground pepper, and probaby a few more. Cook till it all gets mushy and then use a potato masher to help it along.

[Picture here! I'll try to post it tomorrow.]

Enjoy your holidays, everyone!

1 Comments:

At December 23, 2006 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Michelle :) Hope you have a wonderful visit with your sister and her family. Happy holidays!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home