Saturday, December 23, 2006

Accidental curry soup

This week I did make a soup but my internet connection was sporadic at best, so I didn't post it. I made my good old "I want something quick" stand-by, Yoga Soup. Actually, it is the only recipe I've ever posted to VegWeb.

But today, I started making a throw-together curry for lunch and used too much liquid, creating a tasty curry soup instead. Most of the ingredients are approximate...

2 broth cubes - 1 vegetable and 1 mushroom
about 4-6 cups of water (just filled the pot. gauging quantity is not my forte :) )
3/4 cup red lentils
1/4 cup yellow split peas
2 white potatoes, cubed
1 carrot, cubed
3 cloves of crushed garlic
frozen spinach (the stuff I buy comes frozen in single servings. so I used 2)
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp of cilantro pesto

Rinse the lentils and split peas then fill the pot with cold water. Add broth cubes and bring to a boil. Chop potatoes and add to pot along with spices and garlic, reduce heat and simmer. Add carrots when potatoes are 1/2 done. When vegetables are cooked, add frozen spinach (you could thaw it first to speed up the process) and heat until warmed through. Before serving, add pesto.


Accidental curry soup

Now, I go finish my Christmas plans. Happy holidays to everyone!

3 Comments:

At December 24, 2006 8:06 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

that looks strange and delicious. how do i make the cilantro pesto?

 
At December 24, 2006 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mine is store-bought from the Big Carrot from a local company called Sunflower Kitchen. They may sell it at Pita Break, too (they have incredible hummus!). If want to make it, I think you just put a good handful of cilantro into a blender, add a clove or two of garlic, a drizzle of oil and a few pine nuts - then blend until it looks good. The stuff I bought also had added lemon juice (and zest, I think) and some sort of hot spice to make it zing.

 
At December 25, 2006 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, just checking in to say we made soup this week but will have to post when we're back from our respective parents for the holidays.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home