Saturday, January 13, 2007

Noodles and Cheeze

We made this dish last night and we happily surprised with it. We can't quite call it Mac n Cheeze because we had to use fusilli and fettuccine noodles - we were low on noodles but had enough of each to make a full meal. Because of the fettuccine noodles, we thought it would be best not to bake the dish in the end.

Some things that struck us is that 1) we had to half the recipe because we didn't need all that sauce, nor did we have 1 1/2 cups of the nutritional yeast. I don't know what it is, but i am always wanting to save on the yeast - call me a Scrooge i guess! 2) The sauce needed an extra kick. We added the tomato paste as suggested and some cut up tomatoes, but J was dying for some veggie sausage or 'something.' He also said it would have been good to counter the flavour with some dijon mustard. He thought it tasted too nutritional yeasty.

But, the consistency and texture was right on, which was the nice surprise. The other great surprise was that J made it all without me. I am a weakling on Fridays, after a long week at work, so while i curled up on the couch and had a nap, he made this dinner for us. Thanks, hon. He's an honourary member of this group!

4 Comments:

At January 13, 2007 5:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks yummy! I wish I had put tomatoes in mine!!! :O)

I found that the Vegenaise took away a lot of the excess nutritional yeast flavor.

That was sweet of J - I love when my Huzbee does that.

 
At January 13, 2007 8:21 PM, Blogger Webly said...

Looks like you're on a quest for the best vegan mac and cheese? I love seeing people go after one cullinary goal.
Whenever the taste is off with nut. yeast foods I find adding a bit of dry mustard always helps.
I am excited to one day see you're number one mac and cheese!

 
At January 13, 2007 9:16 PM, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said...

Mmmm you really love your mac and cheese don't you? You're making me hungry for pasta!

 
At January 13, 2007 11:22 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

i also put dry mustard in nutritional yeast mac-and-cheeze.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home