Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Kick the bastards out cheesecake

So, it was my first vegan cheesecake making last night. I was a little worried, based on the two results I had seen so far.

I thought about trying a different recipe, and I looked through the recipes I had in other cookbooks. I noticed that most recipes called for lemon juice. I decided to add some of that, and some cornstarch, and otherwise use the cheesecake recipe that was posted. Also, I added the optional chocolate chips.

I think that silked tofu that's been blended up smells gross, and this was no different.


Before baking.


After baking for about 35 minutes. I put it back in for another 5 minutes, then decided to take it out. The center looked maybe not totally cooked, but I was willing to chance it.

Here is the finished product, early this morning, after sitting in the fridge.

Here is a slice of cheesecake. I was actually very surprised; it tasted pretty all-right. It wasn't totally firm, but maybe if I had left it in longer, it would have. Either way, I'm actually happy with it.

Happy mid-term election day to the Americans. Kick the bastards out!

8 Comments:

At November 07, 2006 9:45 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hmmm, such a complicated recipe this is. I mean, it seems simple but its getting complicated results. Good to hear it was "all right" at least!

"Happy mid-term election day to the Americans. Kick the bastards out!"

Thanks! Honest, we're trying!!!! Election day is so different for me today cause for the first time in five years, I won't be going to the booths. I think I'll really miss the "cha-ching" sound of the lever! In Oregon, it's vote-by-mail (I dropped mine off at the library on Saturday) and in Vermont it was a scantron ballot you put through a reader.

 
At November 07, 2006 10:29 AM, Blogger Carla said...

I'm marking US midterm election day by going to see Shut Up and Sing.

I just had a slice of Stagflation's cake and it's nice, it has a tangy zing to it and it's so silky-soft.

 
At November 07, 2006 3:30 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

I'd like to upgrade this from a "pretty all right" to a "pretty tasty." One thing, though, is that I'm noticing the bottom of the cake is leaking mystery liquid (yes, sounds gross), and the crust is getting a little soggy.

 
At November 07, 2006 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

stagflation, mine is getting a little soggy too.

 
At November 09, 2006 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have made a tofu pumpkin pie a couple of times- it calls for silken soft tofu.. But, substituting silken firm and adding 2or 3 tbls cornstarch in the blender really firmed it up.. just an suggestion

 
At November 10, 2006 9:43 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

It's Friday, people... time for a new recipe!

 
At November 11, 2006 2:53 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

ha! i came on to check and see if anyone had mentioned something. if i were to guess who'd be here too, it would be you!

um, i'm in such a soup mood still, but i know we just made one. i'm intrigued by the tomato rasam that jennifer (of vegan lunch box) mentions as her blog as lovely comforting soup. she'll be in town tomorrow!

or, any kind of indian recipe would be nice. that's what i'm craving right now. i'm having trouble finding something on the internet cause i'm kinda tired.

ok, on a kinda unrelated note, do any of you have ideas for "low starch vegetable dishes" or "salads" for thanksgiving? i'm going to a big vegan potluck and i was assigned that category!!!! vegan cookalongers, help me think of something cool to bring!

 
At November 12, 2006 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love vegan cheesecake. And I love the name of yours. I find it you refrigerate it overnight, it usually firms up well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home