Saturday, October 28, 2006

Three Soul Sisters Soup

I'll just jump right in here. Today is chilly, the trees are all orange and there have been a couple of recent soup comments. Those three things have led me to this Three Soul Sisters Soup recipe on Vegan Chef. All the ingredients, or variations of them, should be in season for most of us and will connect us with our North American heritage. Um, even if your heritage is from somewhere else... uh, you know what I'm getting at...

The Three Sisters:
"The 'Three Sisters' are corn, beans and squash, which were grown together by Native Americans. The beans climbed on the corn stalks and returned nitrogen to the soil, and the low-growing squash vines shaded all the roots and kept weeds from sprouting..."

I think the addition of "Soul" to the "Three Sisters" title also helped endear me to the recipe.

8 Comments:

At October 28, 2006 9:38 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

Awesome! :)

 
At October 29, 2006 11:53 PM, Blogger vania said...

yum, i love soup with this weather!

 
At October 31, 2006 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi carla - thanks for your comment! i think debbie mentioned your name? is that possible?
and yes! loved fressen's brunch and the muffin was delicious. and huge. i will make muffins this weekend.

 
At October 31, 2006 3:28 PM, Blogger Carla said...

No soup attempts posted yet. I might get to it tonight. Three Sisters Soul Soup is *so* Trent University! (and that's a good thing, I did my undergrad there)

I don't think I've ever had zucchini in soup before.

 
At November 02, 2006 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey folks!
Werrre's the soup?! :)

 
At November 02, 2006 9:13 PM, Blogger Carla said...

ermmm...so we didn't get to the 3 Sisters Soup...it sounds good but time got away from us!

 
At November 02, 2006 11:41 PM, Blogger gwern said...

if i ever find time to get my ass to the grocery store tomorrow, i'll make it. i totally want to because i think soup is exactly what i'm craving these days!

 
At November 03, 2006 7:04 AM, Blogger mishka said...

aw... poor lonely soup recipe...

I was going to make it last night but I had a million things to do. So we ordered pizza :|

I really want to try this recipe. Probably in a couple of days. In the meantime, it's Friday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home