Monday, November 06, 2006

another mess, this time not yummy

It all started out well. I was at Dollarama on Saturday and my friend pointed out VEGAN graham crumb pie crust!!


And I liked the messy textures along the way:


Everything looks fine, right? And it smelled good as it started baking...


The recipe said 'bake 35-60 mins, depending on your oven.' Hmmmm. I checked in after 35 mins and the filling was a huge bubbly sludge-like thing. Gah-rosss. The soy milk went funny, it bubbled and grew a slimy skin on top. I scooped off the skin and put it back in the oven at a lower temperature. Still no luck. This is what it looked like after being in the fridge overnight:


Anyone know where I went wrong? I know that's not how the recipe-writer intended it to turn out.

1 Comments:

At November 07, 2006 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carla, mine had that skin on it too. That's what led me to try lightly mixing the top after it had cooked for a while to see if that would help thicken the whole thing. It didn't make much of a difference. It just made the top look textured instead of smooth. The only thing that actually thickened it a bit was putting it in the fridge, but even now it's still a little wet and tofuish... I found a recipe that I think I will try the next time I want cheezecake... It's the one on this page:

http://www.exploreveg.org/resources/recipes/desserts.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home