Friday, November 03, 2006

Soul Sisters


Hey, where is everyone this week? Here in Toronto, it's a perfect week for soup. I made mine with a grilled cheeze sandwich.

Overall, the soup was good. I didn't have squash pre-cut and i hate cutting hard squash, so i just used more potatoes and added eggplant. One thing that struck me is using corn starch as a thickener. My mom taught me to use flour and to add it at the beginning, and i feel like i could taste the starchiness the corn starch contributed.

Other than that, i love making soups and this was no exception. I have lots left over, and will have to add more water because it's more of a wet casserole now, but will develop even tastier today.

5 Comments:

At November 03, 2006 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks yummy! I love soups and sandwiches together. My mom taught me to use flour too, although that can also sometimes give things a weird taste, but not like corn starch does. I guess finding the right amount to add is a science.

 
At November 03, 2006 7:41 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

i've made it and eaten it twice, but i haven't taken pictures yet...

cutting the hard squash was a pain!

 
At November 03, 2006 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rice flour is a great alternative to regular wheat flour, especially for gluten-free diets.

 
At November 05, 2006 11:03 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

vania, can i ask you something silly? how are you making your grilled cheese sandwiches? are you using that fancy grill pan you got are are you toasting them? is that follow your heart cheese in there? anything else?

curious. i made one the other day and it was good but i have a feeling that yours is great!

 
At November 06, 2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Carla said...

I agree about squash being a chore to cut. I wondered about the cornstarch too, I guess I'll skip it when I make it. I might puree the squash before I add it, what do you think of that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home