Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Arethra Franklin of soups


So I took a brief cook-a-long hiatus. But I’m back . . . to let you know . . . I can really shake 'em down.

Oh, and “shake em down” means “make a big pot of soup.”

We decided to leave out the onion because we often do, and I chopped up the squash while Aaron chopped up the rest of the ingredients. We used orange hubbard and delicata squash, and I have some orange hubbard left over that I’m not sure how I’ll use. And guess what, the fingers on my left hand got tingly! Yes, again. It wasn't as painful as last time. I washed my hands and ran an errand with Sara while AA finished up the rest of the chopping and preparing and got the soup to the adding the liquid phase. I added vegetable broth (2 cups more than called for) that I just made from leftover food scraps and the rest of the ingredients.

Took a break to hang out and relax while the soup cooked. Wrote this blog, but now I'm changing it to past tense since it's been a few days since I made the soup.

Added the red beans (soaked and cooked a few days ago) and added some more salt. I decided to forego the cornstarch part because it didn’t sound appetizing to me, but then out of nowhere I'm on the phone with my sister while finishing up the soup and forgetting that I wasn't going to thicken it, and only remembered after I added the arrowroot!

Then I added the rest of the can of corn cause I knew that would just have gone to waste.

The first day, I'll be honest, I wasn't in love with the soup. I can't actually say what, but it just wasn't doing it for me. But then for lunch at work, yum! And each serving after that has been yummy, and we just finished it up today.

3 Comments:

At November 06, 2006 10:34 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Nice. I'll make it eventually. Why do you usually leave out the onion? So you have kissable breath?

 
At November 06, 2006 2:39 PM, Blogger mishka said...

^ hee hee! ^

 
At November 06, 2006 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I eat a ton of garlic, so that leaves that theory out!

I don't like to cut onion, and Aaron doesn't like to eat onion. And Aaron doesn't really want to cut the onion now, either. And I don't really care if I eat the onion. So it's been like that for a few years. Every once in a while, I'll do it. Especially if its a walla walla and it's been in the fridge and if someone else is over and wants to chop it.

--Michelle (at a public computer and not feeling like logging in)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home