Friday, October 20, 2006

chickpea salad sammich!

i feel like i should introduce myself; *clears throat* ahem* hi, my name is gwern and i...okay okay, that's just too corny.
i've been wanting to join this cook-a-long since it started but i only had a lousy webcam to document stuff with. now i have a great camera (although the photography leaves a lot to be desired; i'm a little rusty hehe..). i thought for sure my first post would be the pumpkin pie but there is no silken tofu to be found for miles around (it's like all the beef ranchers around here scooped it up or suh'in. i dunno). aaaaaanyway, sandwiches it is! (please bear with me while i figure out this whole blogger thingy) test. test.

believe it or not, i've never actually looked at a proper recipe for this, i just kept hearing about them and decided to make it up according to my taste. i can't imagine that any recipe would be any more complicated than mine though. i also very rarely measure anything so i hope if any of y'all attempt this, it will work! (or you could just go google one) hee.
without further ado i bring you

chickpea salad, gwern-style:

you'll need:

2 cups of cooked chickpeas (i used canned for this, easy peasy)
scant 1/4 cup of vegenaise (or more or less, i used two heaping soup spoonfuls)
1 T. prepared mustard
1 -2 t. dried dill
salt and pepper
optional:
relish
dill pickles
lettuce
tomato
olives
avocado



step 1. mash chickpeas until desired consistency (i like it fairly mashed with only a few lumps):


add the mayo and mustard:

lotsa fresh ground pepper and salt:


don't forget the dill!


i prefer toasted bread but it's good in a wrap or openface or whatever you prefer. and those pickles are just for show because i don't like garlic dill pickles and that's all i had... ;) but it looks purty:



i think this is bloody delicious as is, but the boy's asked me to put in some relish next time and chopped olives (he's an olive addict), but i say "blehgh" to olives. ew. ew. ew.




8 Comments:

At October 20, 2006 7:09 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Clever! Is it sort of like hummous? Good way to use up left over chickpeas!

(I don't like olives either, blech!)

 
At October 20, 2006 7:14 PM, Blogger Carla said...

p.s. Gen - good to see ya here. Have fun with your new camera!

 
At October 20, 2006 7:39 PM, Blogger gwern said...

thanks, carla! :)

i wouldn't say it's like hummous so much as uh, egg salad-like. or chicken salad. heh. but better. ;)

also! i just tried chopped celery added in and it's delicious! it's a nice little crunch.

 
At October 20, 2006 11:30 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

I used to make a similar sandwich filling -- I always thought it tasted kind of like tuna salad, but then I always put pickle relish in mine, which my mom always put in tuna salad.

(P.S. Yep, I'm sort of still here. I may not be participating much as I'm really trying to crack down on what I eat and really, really have to stay away from the fat and really carby stuff. But I'll jump in where I can and just sit back watch you all cook the rest of the time!)

 
At October 21, 2006 1:06 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

Hi Gwern and welcome!! I'm new too and unfortunately addicted. :) It's FUN!

Debbie, PLEASE keep posting. You can make a sandwich with lettuce wraps and beans and veggies and no fat and everything. I like it when people healthify a recipe. It gives me ideas. :)

 
At October 21, 2006 1:08 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At October 23, 2006 1:32 PM, Blogger mishka said...

yay gwern! this looks silly tasty and might be the sammich I make for this busy week!

 
At October 26, 2006 6:26 PM, Blogger gwern said...

hiya ruthie! thanks for the welcome. :)

debbie, yeah, it kind of is like tuna salad isn't it. i added some chopped pickles in the next batch i made - tasty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home