Grilled Tempeh and Apple Sandwich
We love tempeh, i'm sure i've mentioned it before! I also love grilled sandwiches, so we created one ourselves. Here are the ingredients:
1/2 block of tempeh
1 apple (tart, crisp one), sliced thinly
4 tbsp hummos
2 tbsp vegan mayo
1 tbsp ajvar - eastern european roasted red pepper spread (optional)
handful of baby spinach
4 slices toast bread - or use a better quality bread like Ace's Rosemary focaccia
1) Slice tempeh thinly, about 6 slices. Fry or grill until desired. We fried them to give us that deep, rich colour. Place onto paper towel to remove oil.
2) Prepare bread - put mayo on one slice and hummos on other.
3) Place tempeh on bread, and layer apples on top. Close sandwich
4) Other optional ingredients include spinach, dijon mustard, vegan cheese, etc.
5) Place sandwich onto grill, or use a sandwich maker if you like! Grill for about 2-4 minutes on each side. J put margarine in the grill to help ensure there is no stickiness. Grill until the sandwich stays closed and the nice lines appear on the bread.