Monday, September 11, 2006

yummy coffee cake

Now that I have a working oven, I'm really excited to bake! So I invited Jess over to cook with me, and she suggested coffee cake and tea. I proposed this coffee cake and we made it yesterday. Now we're all caught up...

We used all of the ingredients and amounts as listed except for the allspice. I have some whole allspice, but I didn't want to grind them in the coffee grinder so we used nutmeg instead. Also, for those of you who have a printer but are out of printer ribbon and keep forgetting to buy one when you go downtown, know that if you have Vegan with a Vengeance that the coffee cake recipe in there is the same as the one on the internet except that it suggests that you add 2 cups of blueberries. We decided it might be fun to add in some fruit so we added 5 "prune plums" from the small farmer's market a block from my house! Here are the pictures:

Jess, mixing the wet into the dry

me, mixing up the topping

Jess, putting the plums into the batter

putting the topping on, we used two 8x8 trays (Aaron took a ton of these, and when you watch them on the computer, it looks like a cute little movie)




We cooked it for 45 minutes, but then we didn't think it was done, so we cooked it for about 10 more minutes and then a bit more (now I'm forgetting). It's because we both thought the oven temperature might be off cause it doesn't seem to close all the way tight!

tray 1

tray 2

serving up a slice of cake for YOU

enjoy!

aa trying to capture the happiness I felt while eating the cake. I had never made a coffee cake before, and I was excited.

Jess and the cake!

I forgot to take pictures of the tea, but I made "ruby sipper" iced tea and served it in my fancy small cups from Pearl River Mart.

After Jess left, I went to Crafty Wonderland with Vanessa and Enoch, and then later we were starving and I served coffee cake!

Enoch and cake!

all gone!

The cake was super yummy and moist (but not too moist) out of the oven. When eaten later in the day and kept in the fridge, it was a bit more chewy, but still very good! Wish I could hang out and eat coffee cake with all of you!

4 Comments:

At September 11, 2006 11:49 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

~~sniffle~~
i wish i could eat coffee cake with you, too
you could (in theory) freeze a piece for me and i'll eat it when i come out in feb (at the latest)
or not, that's kind of a silly idea

cute aprons, btw...

 
At September 12, 2006 12:34 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

aw! i'd totally do it, if i didn't think it would be way too firm that way!

thanks re: the aprons. i love to wear them, though i often forget. when jess put one of mine on, it made me want to wear one, too!

p.s. i feel like it was "jan at the latest" the last time we talked! if the next time you say "march at the latest" i may have to virtually beat you up!!! in a kind and vegan sort of way...

 
At September 12, 2006 5:29 PM, Blogger mishka said...

I love your cooking demo style of shots - er, I mean Aaron's shots! The cake looks delish. I think tomorrow will be my coffee cake night - though with webcam photos since I dropped and broke mine. boo!

 
At September 13, 2006 2:41 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

you broke your camera? the slr????? holy oh my...

i am bummed for you, and hope you can fix it/get it fixed?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home