Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Beneath the paving stones - the peach

I grabbed 9 peaches on the way home. When they were weighed at the checkout, the actual weight was closer to 3 pounds than four.

Here's the peach filling. I added the lemon zest, and later saw that the recipe seemed to want it in the dough, even though the ingredient was listed in the filling section. Oh well.

So, apparently the word "cobbler" comes from the fact that the topping is like cobblestones, which I can definitely see. I was worried about peach stuff coming out, so I put a pan underneath, and it served me well.

The cobbler tasted good. Maybe a little too lemon-y (and I only used the zest from one lemon), but I liked the cobble part. I wasn't sure if it wasn't properly cooked, or if the stuff that is touching the peach sauce just doesn't ever get firm.

5 Comments:

At August 29, 2006 6:56 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

It looks great. Every cobbler I've ever had has had the undersurface of the "cobble" part wet -- it soaks up some of the juice from the fruit.

 
At August 29, 2006 10:56 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

yeah, yours definitely looks more "cobbled" then mine! nice work! and yeah, i put in the zest in the peaches but then saw later it seemed like it was supposed to be in the dough? but we all liked how the orange (didn't have lemon) combined with the peaches in the filling, so it worked out!

 
At August 29, 2006 11:42 PM, Blogger Dori said...

Hi Debbie. Love the cook along! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting today. I thumbnail my pictures before uploading them via blogger otherwise it takes forever. I noticed that your little pictures do get bigger when they are clicked... how'd you do that if you don't mind me asking. I'll do it to mine if I can fiure out how. :)

By the way, we are neighbors! I am a 45 mile drive down I-80 from you.

 
At August 29, 2006 11:44 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

I should have tried orange. That sounds good. I think that the lemon is this recipe's major weakness (though, it is still tasty).

I forgot to mention, I didn't feel like buying or making applesauce, and since I figured that it was to act as the egg replacer, I used ground flaxseeds/water instead.

 
At August 30, 2006 12:33 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

it was a happy ending to what would have originally bummed me out (the store being out of something). i gave the extra applesauce to vanessa! i didn't really feel like having that applesauce around either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home