Friday, September 15, 2006

My Coffee Cake


I was excited to do this recipe because i've never made a traditional coffee cake before. Also, we have started a new weekly dinner date with our neighbours, where we take turns hosting dinner each Wednesday. When Lost premieres for the season, i'm sure we'll be eating dinner in the living room!

The recipe was pretty straight-forward except i didn't realize i didn't have walnuts. So, for some fun, i added chocolate chips instead. I'm glad i did because otherwise the cake wasn't as sweet as we would have liked. I also added some cardamon which was a nice touch. The subtle touch of maple syrup was nice, but when we had a piece after it came out of the oven, it was a bit bland. Good thing we had a side of So Good chocolate ice cream with it! And of course good strong fair trade coffee.

On to another matter, i wonder if we can create a clear system about proposing the new recipe each week. I have some great recipes in my cookbooks but am not sure how to share them. If i could pick one, could i post the recipe here? Also, maybe we should all take turns so that no one person (or 2) are stuck always recommending a recipe. Just some thoughts on this Friday morning.

11 Comments:

At September 15, 2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Chocolate chips, of course! Great idea!

I proposed online recipes because we can all see them and we wouldn't be violating copyright. I think the law is you can post the ingredients but not the cooking instructions. (There's the librarian in me!) Whatcha'all think?

 
At September 15, 2006 10:42 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

i think that posting them here would be fine. i guess that there are copyright concerns, maybe? or maybe this blog is like a review, and it counts as fair use?

hopefully no vegan cookbook authors would actually get upset.

 
At September 15, 2006 10:42 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

ha, i didn't see carla's comment.

 
At September 15, 2006 10:44 AM, Blogger Carla said...

dude we must've been posting at the same time. Maybe it would be fair use....? Yeah I doubt we'd get caught, but.

 
At September 15, 2006 11:05 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

i think that Canadian copyright law allows for the copying of a certain percentage of a work (like, a chapter, or x number of pages, whichever is smaller), while American copyright allows for use for review purpose. Since we're essentially reviewing the recipes, and also this is non-profit, non-commercial, we are probably safe.

 
At September 15, 2006 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When in doubt, give reference to the source, i.e. taken from...."book title", etc

 
At September 15, 2006 2:03 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Now I'm having a flashback to a copyright discussion about a knitting pattern that turned *ugly* on a message board. Thank goodness we are playing nice.

I'm ready for a new recipe, even though I didn't make the coffee cake yet! So dear vania, do you have something in mind?

 
At September 15, 2006 5:26 PM, Blogger vania said...

i did have some great recipes in a cookbook i got in July entitled A Vegan Taste of East Africa. I really want to try some and this would be a good way, i think. Though i'm not sure if we can. I also don't want this to turn 'ugly.' How about i look at them, pick one, but put it on hold until we get other replies? I will of course reference the book too.

Thanks for all the feedback, dialogue and suggestions.

 
At September 15, 2006 6:26 PM, Blogger mishka said...

I "heard" that recipes cannot be copyrighted, and this was backed up, I believe, by someone who had actually published a cookbook. I think if the recipe was posted and credited appropriately, there won't be any sort of legal issue.

 
At September 16, 2006 12:27 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

I say go for it.

 
At September 16, 2006 1:19 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

so i really don't feel up to weighing in on copywright. but i will say that i think this forum should be a way for people to try out recipes they've wanted to try and haven't been able to. if vania's got something she wants to try, or has been wanting to suggest something and hasn't, it would bum me out if she didn't get to do just that. but my feelings about the copywright issue are too jumbled and conflicting for me to make sense in this little space, so i bow out of this one, if that's ok...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home