Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Coffee cake and crappy photos!

This recipe was crazy easy and crazy fast. Sadly, I broke my beloved camera and will have to get it fixed, so all photos are taken on my iSight computer camera.

I followed the directions pretty darn close this time, except I used peach soy yogurt because the store had no vanilla. I also had no allspice, so I used a combination of nutmeg and cloves.

Coffee Cake batter

Betty Botta bought some butter,
But, she said, I'm vegan!


Coffee Cake pre-baking

Pre-cooking.


Coffee Cake!

The first slice. It was served with a huge cup of Rooibos Chai with loads of soymilk.

Based on previous comments, I cooked the cake for only 30 minutes. However, it still came out pretty dry. I am hoping the centre part is moister. Oh well - just means I have to have more coffee when I eat it! I'm sure I'll survive :)

Considering how quick and easy this recipe was, I'd make it again. But next time I'll add a bit more oil and cook it a bit less.

7 Comments:

At September 14, 2006 1:57 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yeah, that last piece was kinda tough. Weird, how it got less moist on each serving! I do think the addition of fruit makes for a bit moister of a cake. But that said, maybe more oil as you mentioned and yogurt???

 
At September 14, 2006 7:28 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

Where did you get your whole wheat pastry flour? They didn't have it at my supermarket or at Strictly Bulk.

 
At September 14, 2006 9:27 AM, Blogger mishka said...

I got it in bulk at The Big Carrot. It was even labelled "Whole Wheat Pastry Flour", and they had an unbleached one, too! I *heart* The Big Carrot.

 
At September 14, 2006 12:27 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

I've always wanted to check that place out, but I've never been.

 
At September 14, 2006 12:40 PM, Blogger Carla said...

The Big Carrot has lots of variety!!

It's a little like Whole Foods (gentrified, upper-middle-class, expensive even as HFS go). Health minded but not 100% vegetarian. I welcome a store in TO like Michelle C has in PDX, Food Fight. It's totally vegan and I doubt the middle aged wealthy snotty foodies shop there. You know, the kind of people who wear fur coats to vegetarian restaurants. I've been run over by a few of those people with their shopping carts when I was an east ender.

But yes it's a nice store with lots of stock. Apparently it's way bigger now with renos. I don't go to that end much, we should make a field trip, Stagflation!! Meet Mishka for a juice!

 
At September 14, 2006 12:41 PM, Blogger Carla said...

p.s.
Mishka, good job. I'm collecting tips from all of your posts, will make it tonight.

 
At September 14, 2006 6:11 PM, Blogger mishka said...

i would love a pinkvegan & stagflation juice-up! that's not supposed to be as dirty as it sounds...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home