Monday, September 11, 2006

mmm... Coffee cake

Hi all!

After a few week break I decided to jump back in because I love me some coffee cake [even though I assumed coffee somehow worked its way into the ingredients.].
I had no trouble finding the whole wheat pastry flour in the bulk section of Wild Oats as well as the soy yogurt. The rest of the ingredients were from my beloved Trader Joes. The only substitutions I made were using pecans instead of walnuts [a YUMMY substitution- plus my girlfriend is allergic to walnuts] and I think the soy milk I used was vanilla flavoured.

[Please excuse the terrible dark kitchen photos!]

The mixing of the wet into the dry:

The not so pour-able gooey mess and my new pastry pan spray from TJ's:


The pre-topping pre-bake:

The messy apron:


What I did for the 45 minute cooking time:

The Result:

The Verdict:

The cake came out really well- even though it wasn't as moist or "fluffy" as normal coffee cake. This is definitely more hearty and cakey. I think 45 minutes was a bit too long as the bottom and sides are rather hard; the top didn't stick well to the cake either. Even so this is a easy & delish cake that I would totally make again. Now if only I could have coffee tonight and still be able to sleep.

Cheers all!

5 Comments:

At September 12, 2006 2:24 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Looks good! The colour of the cake on the teal plate looks good, too. I'll probably oink out and put ice non-cream on it, if it doesn't come out moist.

 
At September 12, 2006 5:33 PM, Blogger mishka said...

maybe some apple sauce (apple saucy?) would help to moisten things up? I have some leftover from the cobbler, but it's probably bad by now...

 
At September 12, 2006 7:12 PM, Blogger vania said...

I love that apron - my partner loves all things to do with bikes and we need to get him his own supply of aprons - i have 20 and he has 2! Also, that book looks good. Is it? I could use it for my work too!

 
At September 12, 2006 8:56 PM, Blogger Hayley said...

Semester just started and I have only read the intro and first chapter, but it seems to be the authoritive book on the subject. Still though, the reading isn't very exciting. Though more exciting than the investment management class I am sitting in now- and clearly paying attention to. :)

The apron is by some friends of mine and you might be able to get it through their website, or just email them and ask: www.cuntfactory.com

Apple sauce would definately help, but would that go with coffee as well? I really like the taste of the cake even though it is dry...

Cheers all!

 
At September 13, 2006 10:31 AM, Blogger Harmonia said...

Hi Hayley! Just blog surfing! Thought I would check out yours...very nice place! Mind if I link you?
Harmonia
http://harmonia.bloggoing.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home