Monday, September 18, 2006

I pity the ful...

who attempts this recipe using dried fava beans! Ugh! First soaking (overnight), then boiling the water and blanching them. Then, peeling them for over an hour (!), only for them to come out looking pathetic like this.

Next time I'll walk the extra mile to the store with the canned beans!

Ok, getting back to the recipe. I remembered that I have never actually had ful at an ethiopian restaurant (at least to my knowledge), and that this recipe reminded me of something I might get at a Middle Eastern restaurant instead. Don't know. All I know is that the process of making this really made me crave restaurant ethiopian in a serious way. I haven't had any since I left NY (the last time being with the lovely Stacey two days before I left town, but I have heard that there is an excellent restaurant here, Queen of Sheba, that serves 10 dishes for the vegetarian platter!

So, once the favas were cooked and then cooked again till mushy with olive oil and cumin, I went to my pepper plant to pick some peppers.


These are hungarian peppers, similar to the kind you might find in paprika (a mild hint of heat).

Here is the finished ful in the foreground, with Dave's Killer Bread in the background. My neighbor friend, Sare, said she's interested in making injera, so I just might end up having something else to show this week. But for now, here is today's spread:

peppers, goman from Vegetarian Taste of Toronto, and chopped farmer's market pepper. Yep, that be spinach in the goman folks. I cooked the hell out of it.

on the plate

Though I was too tired out after the fava fiasco to try any more new recipes, I still was excited about this meal. Funny how this is the first bean dish I cooked since I've been here. As the temperature cools down, I expect a lot more beans in my future!

6 Comments:

At September 18, 2006 8:32 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Nice!

 
At September 18, 2006 10:38 AM, Blogger vania said...

you can't beat that title! too funny. I'm sorry that the beans didn't work out but i love how you had some other dishes too!

 
At September 18, 2006 11:45 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

i would use the title "ful me once, shame on you. ful me twice, shame on me." but that sounds too negative.

 
At September 18, 2006 12:42 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

ha, but it's true! i'm never gonna make favas that way again! it's weird, cause i really don't pun in real life. and i don't even think it works in most writing. only in blog posts!

oh, i forgot to mention here that i had soaked 2 cups worth, but that I couldn't handle peeling 2 cups worth, so some were left over and I was thinking of maybe sprouting them. But when the first set of beans were done, it looked like hardly anything so then I cooked the second, unpeeled batch of beans! So there's some peeled and some unpeeled in there!

 
At September 18, 2006 3:15 PM, Blogger Carla said...

I speak in song titles and puns way too often. Apparently that's an emo thing, though I don't think I'm emo, am I?

 
At September 19, 2006 12:29 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

hmm, don't know! Emo seems to mean different things to different people, I think. I wouldn't peg it as an emo thing, though. I probably do it a lot more than I'm aware of, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home