Thursday, August 10, 2006

The coleslaw awaits...

Coleslaw ingredients

I have just mixed the coleslaw, and I plan to have it for lunch tomorrow. I made a few alterations:

  • chow mein noodles and veg broth powder instead of a package of ramen (my grocery store didn't have any that I wanted to use)
  • included 1 stalk of celery
  • red cabbage (although colour wasn't specified)
  • the sesame seeds weren't toasted (lazy)
  • lemon juice was used along with vinegar (rice)

This only took about 5 minutes to put together and I am anticipating a wonderfully red dressing sitting in the bottom of the bowl tomorrow.

Coleslaw


------

I decided, "lunch schmunch" and scarfed the coleslaw for breakfast (ooo, the onion breath). Since I chopped instead of shredded, it was more like a chunky salad, which I like. The dressing was tangy and would probably benefit from some sort of sweetner to cut the acidity - a pinch of raw sugar or some maple syrup. (edited to add: Kat just pointed out that the recipe DID call for sugar. Somehow I missed it when I wrote down the ingredients...) I used less oil than the recipe called for, so I didn't find it oily at all. The broth powder made an interesting addition, and I really liked the noodles. Next time, I may use tahini instead of plain oil, to add a nice creamy texture. Overall, the coleslaw was tasty and I'll be happily eating more with - or for - dinner tonight.

5 Comments:

At August 11, 2006 2:10 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Yummy! I haven't made it yet.

And it's time for a new recipe, any ideas?

 
At August 11, 2006 7:03 PM, Blogger mishka said...

hey - how about a dessert, a paté or gazpacho?

 
At August 11, 2006 7:05 PM, Blogger mishka said...

this looks good too

http://www.vegcooking.com/recipeshow.asp?RequestID=584

 
At August 11, 2006 10:35 PM, Blogger mishka said...

OMG! It DOES list sugar. I'm dumb.

 
At August 12, 2006 1:37 PM, Blogger Carla said...

I vote yes on the quesadillas! But no mushrooms for me, blechhh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home