The coleslaw awaits...
I have just mixed the coleslaw, and I plan to have it for lunch tomorrow. I made a few alterations:
- chow mein noodles and veg broth powder instead of a package of ramen (my grocery store didn't have any that I wanted to use)
- included 1 stalk of celery
- red cabbage (although colour wasn't specified)
- the sesame seeds weren't toasted (lazy)
- lemon juice was used along with vinegar (rice)
This only took about 5 minutes to put together and I am anticipating a wonderfully red dressing sitting in the bottom of the bowl tomorrow.
I decided, "lunch schmunch" and scarfed the coleslaw for breakfast (ooo, the onion breath). Since I chopped instead of shredded, it was more like a chunky salad, which I like. The dressing was tangy and would probably benefit from some sort of sweetner to cut the acidity - a pinch of raw sugar or some maple syrup. (edited to add: Kat just pointed out that the recipe DID call for sugar. Somehow I missed it when I wrote down the ingredients...) I used less oil than the recipe called for, so I didn't find it oily at all. The broth powder made an interesting addition, and I really liked the noodles. Next time, I may use tahini instead of plain oil, to add a nice creamy texture. Overall, the coleslaw was tasty and I'll be happily eating more with - or for - dinner tonight.