Sunday, July 09, 2006

Pho: Shortcuts and Short Cook Time

So, I was on the phone with Michelle while I was making dinner on Saturday night and we decided this would be a good dish for the cook-along.

I'm currently living in a tiny apartment in Anywheresville, USA and have very little counter space and only a few pieces of kitchen gear. Although I had all the spices and aromatics I needed for the broth (which takes no time at all in a pressure cooker), I took some shortcuts with the garnishes. Regardless, the pho was quite tasty, and, as a bonus, caused my apartment to stink pretty.
The broth cooking in the pressure cooker (far left) and after releasing the pressure and peeking inside (can you see the steam?)



I followed the recipe for the broth, using the quantities specified, and added 1 dry red chile. For vegetable stock, I used Rapunzel no-salt added bouillon cubes. (I love these – they are my base for all of my soups). I cooked this in my pressure cooker at high pressure for 3 minutes (yeah, baby! take that, crockpot lovers), and by the time it was done, I had my rice noodles cooked and my garnishes ready to go.

My garnishes consisted of frozen chopped spinach and a can of baby corn, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts and bean sprouts. My bowl of pho was also topped off with a healthy serving of Sri Racha.
Before and after adding the broth (my bowl, covered with hot sauce is on the right, the other belongs to my fabulous intern/ personal shopper/ photographer)


5 Comments:

At July 09, 2006 11:40 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

oh, i love that rice noodle picture! i'm really into rapunzel bouillon cubes now, too. was it you who was surprised when i didn't have bouillon in the house? since then, i've gone through a whole package of the rapunzel and a whole container of the vogue vege base!

so yummy, i'm looking forward to trying the pho! but i don't have lots of the ingredients, but that's cause i was away and tried to clean the fridge out beforehand...

 
At July 09, 2006 11:42 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

and we've already talked about how i love sriracha!

sri-ra-
cha-cha-cha...

 
At July 09, 2006 12:00 PM, Blogger mishka said...

I have a very good feeling about this recipe.

I have a pressure cooker but I've been afraid to try it. It's definitely not as fancy-schmancy as your's looks - I think I have a cheap-o one - and for some reason, I'm convinced that I'll blow the apartment up.

 
At July 09, 2006 12:42 PM, Blogger Stacey said...

Mishka,
If it's an old (jiggle top) PC, it may blow up, but the newer, 2nd generation ones, don't have that problem.
It's worth trying it - besides, it won;t blow everything up, just the kitchen.

Michelle,
Yep, I was having probs finding sriracha in this town and bough a garlic chile sauce from the supermarket, but then, when I went to the Indo-Asian market in nearby city when I went to meet my parents for dinner on Sunday, I saw the sriracha and bought it. Yum!

sriracha - it makes everything better

and, my lovely intern took the photo for me.

 
At July 10, 2006 5:36 PM, Blogger Carla said...

well this looks fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home