Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Pho Sure!



In keeping with Michelle's title pun-ness, i had to go there! I made the Pho dish last night for a few friends. One raved that it was fantastically delicious, but it was a bit bland (simple?) for my taste. And the recipe wasn't the most informative. Call me anal but i like knowing the quantity of things.

I love Vietnamese food and my friends were in awe that i made pho from scratch. Of course, i did improvise a bit. For instance, i didn't have star anise around nor fresh ginger. And a Vietnamese soup dish isn't complete unless i have tofu in there. So, i added cubes of tofu to simmer with the broth. I also didn't discard anything - i like soup this way and it's less time consuming for me.

We did all like the balance of fresh things and the soup. Good thing someone pointed out at the 11th hour that we forgot to make the noodles, but we managed to whip them up in time!

4 Comments:

At July 12, 2006 8:07 PM, Blogger mishka said...

looks good! I'm glad someone else didn't strain their broth, because I certainly don't plan to!

The coffee addict in me needs to know: what is that coffee book in the second photo?

 
At July 13, 2006 12:20 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

i second that -- looks yummy! thinking on it, i think i did ok with the lack of direction cause i'm not all too good at following directions and like to do what i like. but each time i ate it, i felt like i had too much of something or too little of something else, so it takes practice to know.

do you have leftovers? just wondering what you'd add to make it tastier for you...

and you're both right -- it felt wasteful to strain my broth in a way, though i really liked having the clear broth.

 
At July 13, 2006 9:49 AM, Blogger vania said...

Mishka, it's a coffee table coffee book on the history of coffee. J just said he's never read it but got it as a gift cuz of his love of coffee (aka addiction!).
Michelle, i do have leftovers - but no time to eat it again!

 
At July 13, 2006 1:48 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Mmmmm yummy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home