Sunday, March 15, 2009

Pancakes....

Grain-Free Lemony Almond Pancakes...
They sounded like a great idea, didn't they? I'm so sorry if y'all had misadventures, I know I did.

No pics by the way--can't find the camera-downloader cable...but my process looked mostly like mishka's. Actually, the whole process was a lot like mishka's -- we must be pancake twins!

I followed the recipe closely, except instead of grinding whole almonds, I used about 1/2 C+ of almond meal left over from making raw almond milk--this was the whole reason for me wanting to try this recipe, actually. I ground up the flax seeds in my spice grinder and learned to my surprise that 1/4 C whole flax seeds makes more than 1/4 C of ground flax seeds, which is counterintuitive to me, but oh well. I was a little surprised at how little batter the recipe made, so after I ladled out the first two pancakes I thinned out the batter (just like mishka did!). The first two pancakes turned out really thick, like the picture from Jacki's blog, but maybe a little uncooked in the center--the batter was so thick that I wasn't able to see any bubbling. The last six pancakes were variable -- I had a couple that didn't want to flip at all and wound up all crinkly on my spatula, even though they were dry around the edges and bubbly. I hate when that happens!

I had decided to use my non-stick electric griddle because it lets me set a fixed temperature -- I set it at 350F, so I don't think the variability is due to pan temperature. The electric griddle works great for regular flour pancakes.

But all these trials and tribulations could be forgiven if the end product were fabulous, but we found them to be gummy and though we enjoyed the first bite and enjoyed the lemoni-ness, we couldn't really taste the nuttiness very much. We ate two each and didn't feel like eating any more. We wound up composting the rest.

I think that there was way too much flax meal for the recipe. In my experience, flax is used as an egg replacer in a lot of vegan baking, so using 1/4 C in this recipe is like using 6 eggs (or something) for 8 pancakes!

Long live the cook-a-long! On to the next one!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At March 16, 2009 9:11 AM, Blogger Carla said...

You have a griddle! I forgot about those. Glad yours turned out!

 
At March 16, 2009 12:51 PM, Blogger mishka said...

I wondered how these would work with almond pulp. Maybe the pulp contributed to the gumminess? And I had no idea that grinding the flax made a larger amount! I used already-ground seeds in mine. I agree that the overall flax amount should be taken down a bit – that might be why the batter was so thick.

 
At March 16, 2009 3:19 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

I think flax can absorb enormous quantities of liquid. I don't think the pulp contributed to the gumminess -- I think it was caused by the flax. I blame the flax for everything. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home