Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Constant Comment Cookies

I did make some cookies - but I made up the recipe...


If you're from down South like me then you're familiar with 'Constant Comment' tea. Y'all know that I love my tea! (not my photo) This is their description of the tea:

"Created by Ruth Bigelow in her kitchen over 60 years ago "Constant Comment"® is today America's most popular specialty tea. This original blend of the finest mountain-grown tea is deliciously flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice. There's no other tea in the world quite like it."

Y'all probably also know that I love creating things in the kitchen - so - I was having a tea for some people from the local Concert Association and I needed something to serve with my cucumber and tofutti cream cheese sandwiches - made with homemade dill bread - these were so yummy - I didn't even mention the tofutti cream cheese and I don't think anyone noticed at all...

Soooo, I needed some cookies and I thought 'What would go with my "Constant Comment"® tea???' "Constant Comment Cookies" of course...

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine and stir with a whisk.

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Earth Balance - or vegan margarine of your choice

Beat until light and fluffy.
Then add egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg - I used Red Mill.
Add 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of orange extract and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.

Then gradually add your flour mixture beating it in about 1/3 at a time.
Beat just until a soft dough forms - then form it into a log and wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (you could probably do this a day ahead - and maybe even freeze it but I don't know as I didn't try it).

Preheat oven to 350°. Cut log into 4 equal portions - then working with one portion at a time (and keeping the others refrigerated - this is a soft dough) divide dough into 10 equal portions - roll into little balls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.

Mix together on a small plate:

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup powdered sugar

Then dip the bottom of a flat glass first in water and then in the sugar mixture and flatten each little ball. Repeat with the other 3 portions of dough - Yield 40 cookies.

These were so good with tea - not too sweet and delicately flavored.

4 Comments:

At April 30, 2008 4:02 PM, Blogger Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Cookies and tea! Yum! And are those cucumber sandwiches I spy?

 
At April 30, 2008 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that looks like heaven!

 
At May 03, 2008 10:39 AM, Blogger affectioknit2 said...

Thanks - I'll post the bread recipe too.

 
At May 10, 2008 12:03 AM, Blogger pilgrimama said...

Hmmnn..I'll have to poke through the archives and see all the intereting recipes... Marci

 

Post a Comment

<< Home