Monday, March 16, 2009

Almond pancakes - a flop

I was very excited to try these this morning. I've been baking with almond meal for several years now, adding it to existing recipes in place of some of the regular flour. I love the flavor and I like the combination of nuts and lemon, so this seemed perfect. Plus I have a former student who is on the Ketogenic diet to prevent seizures and was hopeful of finding a good recipe to recommend.

I used Trader Joe's almond meal, Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo flour, and some plain almond milk instead of soy.

It was easy to mix up the batter, although it was quite a small amount. I heated up my cast iron pan and used a high heat safflower spray.

The first batch almost burned on the first side while waiting for the bubbles and fell apart when I tried to flip them.



The second batch fared better on a lower heat and looked great when I was done although they were very flat.


Unfortunately, although they were cooked perfectly on the outside, they were completely uncooked on the inside. I even put a lid over them while I cooked the second side.


After another 15 minutes in the pan with the lid on and the heat off, the inside cooked. But they were really not pancakes any more. More like slightly soft crackers. The flavor was good but the texture was just all wrong.

I thought that perhaps they needed more time to rise before cooking, as I usually wait a bit longer before cooking my regular pancakes but the time between the two batches was long enough and it only made a small difference.

Something tells me this recipe should have eggs instead of flaxseeds and that it would fare much better in a non-vegan version.

6 Comments:

At March 16, 2009 9:10 AM, Blogger Carla said...

oh dear! I might skip this one after all, even though almond + lemon sounds good, I'm not good at guessing how to adjust ingredients.

 
At March 16, 2009 12:55 PM, Blogger mishka said...

I'm so sorry they didn't work out! Do you think thinning the batter would have helped at all?

 
At March 16, 2009 3:22 PM, Blogger Jeannie said...

15 minutes!! No wonder they were like crackers. I think the flax simply absorbs a lot of liquid, so it's to get to that cooked state where the right amount of moisture has turned to steam. I don't know how Ricki did it.

 
At March 24, 2009 1:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry that your pancakes didn't quite work out! Sometimes tofu works best in recipes that call for the fluffiness that eggs contribute to baked goods. I use tofu in my favorite chocolate chip recipe, and it works beautifully. I have a feeling that it would also work well here. Plus - garbanzo flour: meh. I've tried it in a pancake recipe before, and it was not good.

 
At November 12, 2009 9:08 PM, Anonymous HumbleVegan said...

Just found your blog! great ideas :-) check out my blog for some great pumpkin pancakes and other vegan goodies!!!

http://www.humblevegan.blogspot.com

would love to have you follow me... just signed up to follow you :-)

cheers,
Humblevegan

 
At March 17, 2010 2:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had success binding Almond Meal with Banana instead of flax. Just thought I'd suggest it. I'll try it today, I'm about to make some almond pancakes :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home