Monday, March 05, 2007

Friday Night Dumplings

I made these are Friday night but am only getting around to posting now. I think dumplings make a great quick dinner/empty out your veggie drawer kind of meal. I made them using store-bought wonton wrappers, and added my own filling. Inside was:
- scrambled hard tofu
- carrots
- asian eggplant
- olive and sesame oils
- 5-spice mix
- chili powder, salt and pepper
- fresh garlic, cilantro and gingerWe fried them, of course, but it was a big too oily. Between the fry mix and frying the dumplings, at some points, when we bit into the dumpling, oily juice oozed out. Good thing we steamed some fresh bok choy to go with it!
Also, i'm grateful for the tip to mix water with some cornstarch because it was hard to seal the wrappers well enough to stay closed. I just folded them in half, but i would have loved to play with the shapes more.
I think that i'll make these again, with some minor changes, but i'm very happy to have finally made my very own dumplings aka pot stickers!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At March 06, 2007 9:12 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

those look good. so much better looking than mine!

 
At March 08, 2007 11:55 AM, Blogger mishka said...

I didn't get around to making the dumplings because I got sick :( It's been easy food for the past few days in my home. But I do plan on trying out a recipe sometime soon.

The Vegan Cook-a-long just got a mention in Herbivore's new online edition! And we don't have a recipe for this week (err, I guess it'll now be for this upcoming week)

Anyone have an idea? I can research something and make a suggestion. Do people prefer meals, desserts, or snacks? Maybe breakfast muffins? Or something fresh to celebrate the impending spring? It sounds like the more popular recipes are the less complicated ones with less work and fewer ingredients.

Any thoughts? I was also thinking that we should start to spread the word a little more, just to get more participants...

 
At March 08, 2007 12:07 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

breakfast muffins sound good.

 
At March 08, 2007 12:51 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Nice triangular dumplings! I made mine late too, but they're not picturesgue so will try again.

The baby bok choy looks delicious!

re: recipe selection: we missed a week for the first time! Yes it seems when there are lots of ingredients or obscure ingredients, it's harder to get it done, we're all busy people.

I miss good produce! This time of year isn't great for groceries, here anyway.

I saw "breakfast cookies" somewhere...sort of like breakfast muffins. Or something lighter?

Happy IWD!

 
At March 08, 2007 4:00 PM, Blogger mishka said...

dang. A recipe for vegan breakfast cookies is hard to find! If I don't end up tracking one down, maybe I'll put a breakfast bar or muffin recipe up. Unless you remember where you saw the recipe, Carla :)

Happy IWD to you too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home