Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Chocochili

I whipped this up quickly last night. I usually like my chili to simmer for about an hour, but this tasted so good after half and hour that I now think my one-hour rule is probably silly.

I used a few substitutions - pinto and black bean instead of butter and kidney beans, half a jalapeƱo instead of cayenne, chopped sundried tomatoes (about 7) instead of a paste, added lots of cumin and chili powder and 4 cloves of garlic...

... and cocoa camino fair trade cocoa instead of chocolate chunks. About 1/3 of a cup of it.

Cocoa

Vegan chili with cocoa

I thought I maybe used a bit too much cocoa because the colour got really dark and the liquid turned into a really cool looking gravy. But the flavour was nice and deep and not at all chocolatey.

7 Comments:

At December 13, 2006 9:46 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

Mmm, looks good. What were the sundried tomatoes like?

 
At December 13, 2006 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love sundried tomatoes (I think I'm in the minority here!) and put them in everything, especially saucey stuff. They help to thicken the liquid. I put them in chili all the time, and I quite like the flavour. Instead of rehydrating them first, I just snip them into tiny bits with scissors right into the pot.

 
At December 13, 2006 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The color is gorgeous! I like how the black beans look in there. Such a nice color combo. I'm so going to add garlic to mine. Then again, I add garlic to everything... except for cookies.

 
At December 13, 2006 11:36 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

I love sundried tomatoes, but on stuff like pizza (or, right out of the container). I'd just be worried about what they would taste like mixed with chocolate.

 
At December 13, 2006 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think they add a strange flavour with the chocolate at all. Together, I think they create a nice deep flavour :) I hope you try it!

 
At December 13, 2006 2:20 PM, Blogger Carla said...

I like sundried tomatoes, too, especially on pizza, but they're in the "nightshades" family, which I try not to eat too often (aggravates my joints).

 
At December 19, 2006 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great use for our Cocoa Camino cocoa powder - we love this recipe! Drop me an email at shannon_s(at)lasiembra.coop and I'll send you some more ingredients to try.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home