Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Not the Ful Meal


I couldn't resist another pun! I made the Ful last night, as well as an accompanying sweet potato recipe. I did not have time time to make the injera from scratch, so like the others i bought a ready-made near substitute - thin chapatis. This weekend i'll be at a cottage for 4 days so i will have a lot of time on my hands to attempt the injera. And i'm excited about the trial and error process like Michelle had!

The ful was good for us. As in, we liked it! Simple recipe and a nice flavour for our fall weather. Having read the others comments about using dry beans, i bought canned fava (faba?) beans. It did the trick, if not a bit salty. I too am not sure i would want it for breakfast!

I also made a sweet potato dish - mashed with cardamon. This recipe was from the East African cookbook i mentioned previously, and i had some sweet potatoes around. A bit too orange/beige all around, so i added some parley here and there to add colour.

All in all a good meal. I will post my success/failure with injera next week!

3 Comments:

At September 21, 2006 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum! Sweet potatoes are the best. I prefer cinnamon and maple syrup drizzled on them and grilled in the oven.

As for Ethiopian food, I tried it once...can't say I'm a big fan.

 
At September 21, 2006 2:31 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

oh, chapatis are a GREAT substitute!!! really, if we were at all willing to walk more than a block, we could have done better (for part 1), i see.

i've got a part three for you though, and this time, a lot better!

 
At September 21, 2006 8:55 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Looks yummy! I made the fava beans part last night and wanted sweet potatoes with it too....great minds think alike!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home