Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Pakoras and Veg Curry

Pakora ingredients

I followed this pretty closely. Like Vania, I usually tinker with recipes. My only changes were: no asoefetida (I saw some not too long ago and *almost* bought it), green instead of yellow pepper, and I baked them instead of frying.


Pakora batter

Here's the batter.


Pakoras

After baking. I coated the parchment paper with canola oil and drizzled each pakora with more oil before popping them in the oven.

edit: They were cooked approximately 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven.


Veg Curry

And they were served with a chickpea, potato, spinach, carrot, pepper curry.

The chickpea flour is definitely key and mine turned out really well. The boy and I ate the entire batch, dipping them in a sweet chili sauce. Luckily I bought lots of chickpea flour so that I can make more!


4 Comments:

At August 22, 2006 10:33 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

how did you bake them? just on a tray lined with parchment paper? what temperature? i was thinking about doing them in a well-oiled muffin tin.

also, a little tip for anybody who plans on frying them (and I still might do that, I haven't decided yet), the woman who sold me the chickpea flour said that adding a teaspoon of rice flour to to mixture limits some of the oil absorption.

 
At August 22, 2006 10:36 PM, Blogger mishka said...

I baked them for about 20 minutes (I think) at 350 degrees, on a pizza pan lined with parchment. The pizza pan has a buncha holes, which allows more heat from the bottom. They would have cooked faster if I made them smaller :) Mine were maybe a little too big.

 
At August 22, 2006 10:52 PM, Blogger vania said...

i'm glad yours worked!

 
At August 23, 2006 12:18 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

i'm such an indian food nerd -- i didn't even need to go to the store as i had packed my chickpea flour and asoefetida and had it all ready! so good to hear about it baked -- i ended up frying mine, and it's cool to know that it worked baking after all. i'm gonna try to post my old cookalongs now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home