Tuesday, August 22, 2006

I Tried Them


and they failed. I know i just said i will follow a recipe to the T but i didn't have chickpea flour in the house and really got hungry for home-made pakoras. But one of the problems i'm blaming on the recipe itself. It calls for 1 cup of flour and 1/4 cup water - well they did not combine at all and did not reach a consistency of batter. So i added more water. And more water. Can different flours really make such a difference? I used buckwheat flour. I followed the recipe otherwise and was really excited, only to come up with mush. The veggies cooked nicely though, so i picked them out and dipped them in my sauce.

Oh, and i did add the queen of all spices: garam masala mix.

2 Comments:

At August 22, 2006 8:10 PM, Blogger mishka said...

aw, I'm sorry they didn't work out! I do think that the chickpea flour is pretty crucial, though I'm not sure how different flours, well, differ in terms of cooking.

I'm in the process of making mine and I did end up adding more water as suggested since the batter was stiff. Once my curry is finished cooking, I'll pop them in the oven (which may or may not work). Post to follow!

 
At August 22, 2006 10:12 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

oh -- i'm so sorry about that! yup, i'm with mishka, the chickpea flour is a key ingredient. buckwheat sounds really healthy and yummy, but i think it just has different properties. or not that original taste.

i'll post mine some time this week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home