Sunday, August 27, 2006

Mmmm, peaches

I had a hard time convincing myself to actually cook the peaches, they were so wonderful just the way they were, but my sense of responsibility kicked in and I made the cobbler. The things I'll do for the cook-along. Because it is far too dangerous to have that much leftover cobbler around, I only made a quarter recipe, but I really didn't want to do the fiddley math. Okay, I could have had Master Cook do the fiddley math, but I didn't want to deal with the weird measurements, so I eyeballed it. Other problems: No white - excuse me -- unbleached flour, only whole wheat, and no applesauce. I thought about blending up an apple but decided against it for the tiny amount my quarter recipe required. I added a touch more soy milk to the wet stuff. There was a brief moment of puzzlement when I got to the instructions that said to add the lemon zest to the dry stuff when, in fact I had already added it to the peach filling as it was listed among those ingredients.

The "cooked" peaches. These pretty much were releasing juice the instant I cut them, so I wasn't sure how long to cook them. They were basically just warmed.



With the topping, uncooked. I have no idea what the consistency of the dough was supposed to be like; this looked reasonable to me so I just went with it.



And the final product.



As a result of my playing fast and loose with the dough, it was predictably a bit, uh, heavier than what I imagine should have been a biscuit-like topping. It was still biscuit like but in a sort of health-foody way. Undoubtedly the applesauce would have made it a bit fluffier and, of course, the white flour would have made it a bit more normal. But I actually like it this way. If I were serving it to guests it probably wouldn't have been the best way to go about it, though. There's a different flavor to the filling, too, but in a pleasant way, probably the ginger and cinnamon. Anyway, it's pretty darned good and I would actually serve this to other people.

3 Comments:

At August 28, 2006 7:19 AM, Blogger mishka said...

haha - that's a good way to determine if a recipe works out: "would I serve this to others?"

Your's looks great - I prefer yor peach to biscuit ratio.

 
At August 29, 2006 9:23 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Looks like it turned out well, esp considering the changes you made to the recipe. So maybe you're a Master Chef!

 
At August 29, 2006 7:00 PM, Blogger Debbie said...

I liked the peach to biscuit ratio, too, but it is probably only due to the fact that my pan was shallower than it should have been -- I probably should have used a loaf pan instead. But it worked out just fine anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home