Thursday, August 24, 2006

imperfect pakoras

Well, well, this didn't turn out so well, but I know a second attempt later will be better.


The recipe said do not taste the raw batter, but I did, and she's right, it's gross.

















I plopped the batter on a baking sheet like cookies, checked on them and they looked like they were sticking, even though I'd greased the sheet well.





















So I decided to deep fry them, in a small pan. Uck! So greasy and messy:


















But then I remembered that they are supposed to be greasy and messy. Remember my heart-shaped moulds from the magic loaf week? Pulled 'em out again. Also made dal to go with it, thinking it will balance out the greasiness of the pakoras:
















On the theme of Indian cooking, I have this awesome poster in my kitchen:

















And I know I'm not the only one who has stained kitchen gear with spices. Any of you other Toronto veg*ns have this TVA measuring spoon?

6 Comments:

At August 25, 2006 7:22 AM, Blogger mishka said...

Aw - I'm sorry they didn't work out. That spoon is cute! I got a giant travel mug (seriously - GIANT) when I renewed my TVA membership last year, and oven mitts the year before. I like to wait to renew until the Food Fair, cause that's when they give the goodies away.

 
At August 25, 2006 8:25 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

I actually used that TVA spoon you gave me for the pakora recicpe.

 
At August 25, 2006 8:37 AM, Blogger vania said...

i love that poster - hey all us Toronto vegans should meet up at this year's annual veg fair in september!

 
At August 25, 2006 10:48 AM, Blogger mishka said...

hey - vania, great idea! I'm definitely going on Saturday and I may pop by on Sunday as well. Carla, I know you're doing the concert, but do you plan to check out the food fair at any point?

 
At August 25, 2006 10:58 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

hey, jealous!

i'm sorry too about the pakoras. i don't really get how they get baked either, but i would like to try that some time. and i've stained tons of things with turmeric, so much so that i thought my landlord would be mad that the counters are all dingy, etc. but i got all my security back!

 
At August 26, 2006 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - i used to have one of those spoons, but I lost it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home