Thursday, April 23, 2009

Beer Bread

I went to a vegan potluck a couple of weeks ago and a friend brought homemade bread made with beer. I'd heard about this recipe before and the idea of making bread (with no kneading!) with beer for the yeast is appealing to me. We saw this friend again earlier this week and had some variation on the recipe and I'm convinced I need to try making my own. I figured it might be fun to have a few other people come along for the ride. What say you all?

Sadly, this recipe excludes anyone gluten-free, but I hope you retaliate by posting an awesome new recipe suggestion next.

I'm sure you could also use dealcoholized beer as well...

Beer bread
2 cups of some kind of flour (multigrain, rye, whatever)
1 cup of all-purpose flour (unbleached preferably)
1 can of beer (of the standard 355 ml variety)
¼ cup water
1 tbsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. sugar (I’ve mostly been using brown)
1 tsp. salt

Mix it together, throw it in bread pan and a 375°F oven for 55 minutes or so and you’re done. The fun part comes when you start playing around with the theme: adding figs and walnuts, raisins and ground cloves, y’know, experimenting. Before you know it, you’ll be saying “I’m quite happy with that maple glaze, but it might go well with some sprinkled oats”.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At April 23, 2009 3:21 PM, Anonymous Brad Beattie said...

I have a bunch of other recipes that you might enjoy as well. :)

http://www.cognitivesandbox.com/posts/tag/recipes/

 
At May 14, 2009 2:46 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

You'd have to choose your beer wisely as micron filtered or pasteurized beers (e.g. Bud, Miller, etc) won't have any yeast left in the beer. It would really need to be bottle conditioned.

 
At May 24, 2009 2:40 PM, Anonymous Wheeler's Crew said...

This is a really cool idea!!

 
At August 06, 2009 7:58 AM, Blogger betsy said...

depending on how hardcore you are, you might check to make sure your favorite brew isn't made with animal products. most mainstream brewers are generally ok but if you want to make sure or are using something off the beaten path, check out: http://www.barnivore.com/beer.

 
At January 27, 2010 5:22 PM, Anonymous Frisco divorce attorney said...

Beer bread? Pretty awesome. Thanks for the recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home