Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"So, the soup's not cooked?"

That was the question one of my co-workers asked me when I told her about my dinner plans. I have to give her a full report tomorrow!

Before I left work today I printed out a list of a few different raw soup recipes - the ones not requiring avocado since there was no chance in heck of finding a decently ripe one - and I took my list to the NFS to see what I could get. The decision was made to create my own based on the recipes I'd read, and this is what I used:

4 roma tomatoes
3 baby cucumbers
a good handful of curly parsley
1/2 inch of ginger
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 beet
2 kale leaves
1 carrot
sunflower sprouts
a few squirts of Bragg
a squirt of lemon juice
water for consistency


Raw soup ingredients


Raw soup, before blending


Raw vegetable soup

I blended all the chopped ingredients except for the water and sprouts in my food processor, adding the water just to thin the soup out. In the large mug I placed some sunflower sprouts, the soup, then more sprouts. I had originally hoped to add some garlic but I was out and I thought the soup might be bland and tasteless. I was wrong! It had a very nice flavour and chunky texture. The garlic would be great for next time, but I'm so pleased with how this turned out. It made a whole lot, and I'm glad because I'm still kinda hungry.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At April 18, 2007 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds delicious. It's just like Gazpacho - a chunky liquid salad. And yeah, I know exactly the frustration you feel about not being able to find ripe avocados at the market.

 
At April 18, 2007 10:42 PM, Blogger vania said...

Maybe i'll try the soup and the spaghetti on the same night! It does look yummy, and so fresh. We should do this again in the heat of the summer!

 
At April 20, 2007 2:03 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Nice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home