Sunday, April 08, 2007

Potato taquitos

I tried twice to make a corn tortilla from scratch without a little wheat flour, and I couldn't get the job done. I hang my head in shame! But I did find some reasonable gluten-free tortillas made from rice flour (depicted).

I'm not coordinated enough to take photos while I cook, but basically, I roasted the potatoes until done (this varies depending on the size and age of your potatoes, but anticipate at least 30 minutes), while I prepared what amounted to a pepita cream on the stop top. When the potatoes were done, I chopped them, tossed them in with the cream and then blended everything with my immersion blender. I stuffed the tortilla with the filling, folded, and the fried the tortilla a little on each side just to heat through.

The pepita cream was the only thing that really would have required a recipe, so:

1/2 cup of pepitas
1 cups of water
2 tablespoons (or more!) of nutritional yeast
1/2 cup of vegan white wine
1 teaspoon of chipotle (or whatever you have spicy),
1 tablespoon of garlic
cumin, black pepper, and sea salt to taste.

Bring the water to a boil, toss everything in, blend with an immersion blender and then cook to reduce by at least half. You'll probably want to reblend once it's reduced. You could thicken with corn starch if you want to make a gravy instead of a cream. I'm sure a raw version of this would be possible (but you'd probably want to leave out the wine and reduce the amount of water or pick up some pepita butter and add the spices).

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At April 08, 2007 11:37 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Hey look, a second Y chromosome on board, welcome Vincent.

Impressive DIY tortillas! The pepita sauce sounds good!

 
At April 09, 2007 9:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Carla. It's really the mushrooms that make this dish! Pepitas are good (and a good source of zinc).

 
At April 09, 2007 9:25 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Stagflation is such a tease! He's been promosing taquitos photos for a week. But he was sick and sneezy last time.

I've never ever eaten a portobello mushroom, I already didn't like mushrooms by the time they started appearing as veggie burgers. Maybe I should open my mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home