Tuesday, March 27, 2007

gringa fails at pupusas


2nd night to attempt pupusas, and still not what I want them to turn out like. The corn flour feels like sand and it's fun to play with, like being at the beach! but I couldn't get it to look or taste like a good dough. I looked at other recipes, and they all only called for corn flour and water for the dough, so it must be possible. I tried mixing wheat flour in with corn flour, still not great. I filled them with refried beans. The curtido turned out fine.

If you had more success, pretty please LMK. In the meantime I'm going back to Emporio Latino for pro pupusa goodness!

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At March 27, 2007 1:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Have you tried cooking the corn flour first (i.e., as if you were making polenta or grits except with masa harina instead of corn meal) and then adding the wheat flour/rolling it out? I've never made pupusa, but I find that that helps to makes the corn a little more dough like when I make tortillas. I'm sure it's not a traditional technique, but the intricacies of proper corn flour usage are too complicated for me to understand.

 
At March 27, 2007 1:58 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

I saw a technique mentioned somewhere online where you make a ball of dough, poke a hole in it, and fill that with the beans before flattening it, instead of making two balls. I think I'll probably re-try these, but using this technique, because it sounds kind of easier.

 
At March 27, 2007 2:17 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Both of those are good ideas, thanks guys! I'll try again tonight.

 
At March 27, 2007 3:22 PM, Blogger mishka said...

I'm looking forward to trying these, but I'm getting a little scared!

 
At March 28, 2007 6:31 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

wow. we're being spammed. i guess we've finally made it to the big time.

 
At March 29, 2007 9:11 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Yeah! First we get mentioned in Herbivore Online, then Henry from Henry's Tempeh comments, now spam from potheads. Impressive.

 
At March 29, 2007 10:22 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

I still have yet to see this Herbivore magazine online thing.

 
At March 29, 2007 10:54 AM, Blogger Carla said...

You need a paid subscription to log in. It's a little like a blog actually. They're still doing the print edition, just less often.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home