Friday, January 19, 2007

GladCow's "Butter Chicken"

While in Vancouver, the boy had vegetarian butter "chicken", which was his favourite indian dish as a meat-eater, and it looked and smelled really good. Since then I have been obsessed with trying to find a veganized recipe. Well, I got one. Summer Keightley (aka GladCow) has generously allowed us to test out her vegan "butter chicken" recipe that she developed for her 2nd cookbook, which is in the works now! If you like this recipe and need something to tide you over until the cookbook is released, her first awesome cookbook can be found here! Pimp pimp!

Mocked Chicken Makhani
This is an Indian dish also known as Butter Chicken. I use a chicken flavored seitan, and vegan margarine instead of butter. It is so good that I end up eating until I’m uncomfortably full, and then I eat more. If I hadn’t made it myself I would wonder what addictive substance had been added!

3 T vegan margarine
1 onion, thinly sliced
¼ t cinnamon
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 t ginger, minced
½ t turmeric
1 t paprika
1-2 t chili powder
1 T ground coriander
2 c seitan, diced
¼ c peanut butter
15 oz can tomatoes w/ juice
1 T tomato paste
½ c vegan sour cream

Melt margarine in a large saucepan or frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onions and cinnamon and sauté until soft. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium, and then add the spices. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, while stirring. Add the seitan, peanut butter, tomatoes, and tomato paste. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the sour cream and heat through. Serve on rice or with naan.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At January 19, 2007 11:31 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

excellent choice!

 
At January 19, 2007 11:36 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Rockin'...so we're part of the test kitchen. I know of her from VRF.

I'd not eaten butter chicken when I was omni, so I don't know what to expect, but I do love peanut butter and all of the other ingredients.

 
At January 20, 2007 5:32 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

i'm making my seitan right now... can't wait to try this! (though, i will be using vegan yogurt instead of sour cream)

for carla: vital gluten flour of the "bob's" variety is 5.49 at fiesta farms (yeah, not close to you, but that seems like an okay price. maybe they'd have it closer in a no frills/loblaws?) and it makes a lot.

 
At January 21, 2007 9:58 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Cool thanks. You really should be a personal shopper for vegans.

 
At January 14, 2009 3:41 PM, Blogger megan said...

I make this recipe ALL THE TIME. It is simply delicious. I sub stuff for the seitan like "chick'n" strips or add chickpeas, spinach or cauliflower, etc. It is so versatile. If you like Indian food, this is for you. YUM.

 
At November 21, 2010 3:19 PM, Blogger Sylvia said...

I had these on a salad the other day and they were awesome! I am so happy to see that they are gaining popularity, as I have recently found them at two local stores instead of just the whole foods in downtown. Yippee!

-Sylvia
Stock Pots

 

Post a Comment

<< Home