Monday, November 27, 2006

Better Late than Never


I meant to make the samosas during the week, but well, one thing lead to another, and i didn't have time. So, J and i made a simple Indian food dinner Saturday night with 2 recent VCaL recipes - the rasam and samosa dishes combined.

All in all, it was quite fun to make as it was all a bit of a production, but well worth it. It was fun to smash the lentils and the smell coming from the soup was fantastic!I turned the rasam into more of a sambhar recipe with cauliflower florets in it. They're really quite similar but J was not into the idea of the rasam and i love sambhar just as much. Oh, the memories of eating this daily in India...


The samosa recipe i used was from two separate cookbooks - Vegetarian Indian and Juice for Life. I think we undercooked the dough as we chose to bake instead of fry. I also made the samosas into litle calzones and i think now, looking back, i would have preferred the fried and pocket-shaped ones. I love samosas and i don't know why i opted out of doing the way they are intended.

Nonetheless, the filling was lovely - potatoes, carrots, corn and spices. We added the leftover filling into our soup and that was a nice touch too.

Since it was Saturday night, we complimented our dinner with some good mixed drinks: I wanted something sweet and light to go with curry so i mixed Fresca with Cassis, Port, and lychee liquor. Yum.

4 Comments:

At November 27, 2006 10:21 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yum! When I mentioned to Aaron that I missed the samosa week, he said something like "Oh! samosas are pure goodness!"

I really love indian food a whole lot, too!

 
At November 27, 2006 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I never heard of this blog before..I just became a vegetarian and I'll def be signing up. And I know you have good taste because I love Indian food and I love Fresca with Lichido lychee liqueur. I'll have to try your recipe including Cassis and Port tonight.

 
At November 27, 2006 9:58 PM, Blogger mishka said...

What a great meal to have both the soup and the samosas! The sambhar sounds wonderful... could be a great suggestion one week.

 
At November 29, 2006 10:01 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Oooo, I'll have to add cauliflower too, when I get to that recipe. Good idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home