Saturday, December 09, 2006

Smells like a cookie, tastes like chili

I've been noticing a trend with my cookalong participation. Either I'm super interested in a recipe, and I get started on it right away or I don't make it at all. I'm definitely craving warm, soupy things like chili. I kinda wanted to eat one peanut butter cookie, but I didn't want a whole pan. I like to make desserts when I know I'll only have to eat one or two. Or three of them, tops!

So right away, when I saw we'd be making chili, I was on it. Even though I should completely not be cooking at all and getting ready for Crafty Wonderland, but my justification is that I'll need something to eat tomorrow while I'm vending all day, and this should be nice and nourishing.

I went to the coop and bought a can of kidney beans (I thought I had one, but I was out), chocolate chips, celery, and bell peppers. The rest of the stuff I had, and I laid it all out and made it smile for the camera.


This picture was taken before we set it to simmer and hopped in the shower.

This is the completed chili, right after I added the chocolate. When I stirred it, it smelled like a cookie, but when I took a taste, it smelled just like chili. Chili with a hint of something, almost smokey. I added a little more salt (I had only used half of the tamari called for) and then some more spice.

I'll let you know how it tastes when I get back tomorrow!

Edited to add:
8:30 this morning, running late to meet Vanessa at the bus stop, I heated up the chili (plus some added water to thin it out a bit). Poured the piping hot chili into my old school thermos, and I was off. I missed the bus, but Vanessa knew I'd be on the next one so it was all good. And worth it, cause 4 hours later when we were getting hungry, I poured us some chili and it was hot and filling and it hit the spot!

Here I am, eating chili out of my thermos at Crafty Wonderland!

6 Comments:

At December 09, 2006 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOH. That looks delicious and warm and comforting! :O)

One thing about this recipe that I'm surprised about is that it doesn't call for cumin or chili powder. Those two spices are kind of essential to chili, IMHO.

 
At December 09, 2006 10:21 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I actually used chile powder instead of cayenne, cause the one I have is spicier, but of course! Cumin! I'll add that tomorrow when I'm heating it up for the thermos!

 
At December 10, 2006 10:20 AM, Blogger vania said...

Too funny, i just made chili for us the other day. I think i'll backtrack this week and make those pb cookies.

 
At December 11, 2006 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww!! Cute photo Michelle! :O) The crafts look great!

 
At December 12, 2006 9:28 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks! It was a lot of fun! And I was really really grateful for the chili!!!

 
At December 13, 2006 2:22 PM, Blogger Carla said...

I love my thermos too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home