Sunday, November 26, 2006

Conchigliotti


When I first learned our recipe would be manicotti, I was worried I wouldn't have the stomach for such rich food. But a few days after thanksgiving, my stomach is back! I headed out to the coop this morning in search of manicotti noodles, but they didn't have any. There were other places I could walk to get it, but I figured, hey, I'll make due with what I have! So using Montebello brand's "conchiglie," I made Conchigliotti!

Though Stagflation's vegcooking manicotti looked great, I decided I was fonder of the ingredients for the vegweb one: vegan parmesan and cheese are two of my favorites, and if I'm gonna have a cheesy dish, I'm gonna put those in! I also loved the addition of lemon juice to the tofu which is a combination that I've been loving lately. I did like how the vegcooking one had spinach mixed with the tofu, so I decided since I didn't have any fresh basil that I'd mix in swiss chard with mine (it was what I had, but that's because it is my green of choice right now. So velvety and delicious!)

First, I set out to make the vegan parmesan. I used to use a product called "Rawmesan," which is great, and if you see it on sale, you should check it out. But I've found it easier and cheaper to just make it myself!
nutritional yeast + walnuts + sunflower seeds + sea salt=parmesan!

leftover parmesan for later in the week!


Then, I set out to make the sauce. I like to start with Muir Glen Roasted Tomatoes cause they rock, but you could use any large can of tomatoes. I wanted the already crushed ones, but since I didn't have them, I ran the diced ones through the food processer. Voila! Then I added olive oil and chopped garlic and way more spices than you really want to know about into the pan with the tomatoes and cooked on low heat.


While that was cooking, I set out to work on the tofu. I really like the fresh tofu they make here in Portland and sell at the coop. I pressed it forever, but it was still pretty wet. Then I added lots of all the spices they suggested, though they were all dry ones cause it was a little rainy and I didn't feel like going out to the patio to get the fresh ones. That feels silly when I admit that now.


Because I wasn't using manicotti, I couldn't exactly stuff the conchiglie, so I mixed the cooked pasta with the tofu, and then scooped the pasta and noodle combination into the baking pan and then layered it with sauce.

before cooking

after cooking


I served it with the rest of the swiss chard. Yum!

7 Comments:

At November 26, 2006 8:21 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Wowsers!

 
At November 26, 2006 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is nutritional yeast? What does it taste like? I've seen it at the local health store but don't know how to use it in my cooking.

 
At November 26, 2006 9:01 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Hmmm... well, first, here's an article on nutritional yeast from wikipedia!

So...I think it's grown on beets, maybe? I forget. But basically, when mixed with tofu or soymilk/oil/salt or tahini or cashews, etc., it takes on the flavor of cheese. Like a cheesy sauce rather than like a block cheese.

Some people love it, some people don't. I totally love it, and I sprinkle it on my cereal or oatmeal every day. It's good in french toast, it's nice in soups, it's great in cheesy recipes (of course) and it's all around yummy AND good for you.

One of my favorite recipes using it is macaroni and cheese. I make up my macaroni and cheese at this point, after experimenting for a bit. I also like it in nacho cheese sauce!

The ubiquitous "every vegan and their mom is making it" recipe using nutritonal yeast is macaroni hates cheese.

Any other vegans or nutritional yeast lovers have more to add???

 
At November 26, 2006 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks delicious. Your photo with the swiss chard is so pretty!

jodie - nutritional yeast has a cheesy flavor. You can use it in tofu mixtures to add flavor. You can also use it in mac n' cheeze to replace real cheese. I like it, some people don't. :O)

 
At November 26, 2006 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woh, simultaneous postin' baybee... :O) Your explanation of nutritional yeast is much better than mine!!! :O)

 
At November 26, 2006 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great info ladies!
I think I will pick some up on my next trip to the health food store :)

 
At November 26, 2006 11:09 PM, Blogger mishka said...

looks tasty! I'm stuffed from eating way too much. I love that you make your own parm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home