Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Tomato Rasam for the Soul


I get into big food phases, and this Tomato Rasam heralds my return to my Indian food kick of a few months back. In fact, this soup completely reminds me of a soup that I love to make from the World Vegetarian, Red Lentil Soup with Mustard Seeds and Curry Leaves (Masoor Dal Soup), minus the red lentils.

I loooove the flavors of this soup: tomatoes and garlic and ginger are particularly yummy flavors to me, and mustard seeds and chili and curry leaves are always winners, too. I knew I'd like it, but I picked it, so I'm curious to see what the rest of you think.

From the small amount I know about rasams, they're supposed to be eaten with a variety of foods as part of a complete meal. It's not a meal-in-a-bowl like most soups I tend to make, but rather, a thin soup meant to be served with/over rice. I made the soup on Monday and ate it with bread and cashews (we were running quickly to a movie), but then on Tuesday, we ate it with mixed rices and steamed broccoli. Good, but still not quite what I'm thinking (I was rushing off to another movie!) Tonight, I hope to make a spicy dal of some kind and serve it with the leftover rice and then fancy up the rest of the broccoli.

Oh, I doubled the recipe!

9 Comments:

At November 16, 2006 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, both soups looks so good! I won't have time to make this recipe this week... I am preparing for vacation and Thanksgiving. Can you send some to me in the mail? :OP

 
At November 17, 2006 9:29 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

it's friday night...

i think that samosas would be fun to make. they could be baked, even.

 
At November 18, 2006 12:52 AM, Blogger vania said...

I will definitely have to try this recipe, but i didn't have time. When i lived in India, rasam was a staple for me and i loved it - and still do.

 
At November 18, 2006 11:58 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

oh yeah, this week went fast! i was actually eating this for most of the week (monday alone, tuesday with broccoli and rice, i forget if i had some wednesday, thursday with rice, swiss chard, and red lentil dhal, and then all of thursday's dinner for leftovers friday!)

stagflation, samosas sound good to me! indian (and ethiopian) are my favorite cuisines so no objections from me! do you have a recipe? i checked out kittee's website and none there...

 
At November 18, 2006 3:12 PM, Blogger stagflation said...

i don't have a specific recipe in mind. maybe eveybody could pick a different one from somewhere? like, there's one here: http://www.ivu.org/recipes/indian-snacks/samosas.html
but it involves deep-frying, whereas i'm sure people could find ones for baked samosas, or for fillings that they would like more, either on the internet or in their own cookbooks...

 
At November 18, 2006 4:59 PM, Blogger gwern said...

ack! every week's been going by fast!
i love samosas! i've made this recipe and it's good: http://www.veganrepresent.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4705

 
At November 19, 2006 2:50 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Both of those look good! I'm not sure if I could choose between them. I like how gwern's had less oil (dunno why i care since i could easily end up frying them) but i'd like to add some of the spices from stagflation's to it (or use less oil in staflation's...if this makes any sense).

i liked the hot raisin chutney recipe that was in the comments, too.

 
At November 19, 2006 3:30 PM, Blogger vania said...

mmmmmm...samosas. i'm in too - and with the rasam i never made last week, this will be a great meal!

 
At November 19, 2006 7:10 PM, Blogger mishka said...

I've been cookalong slackey lately. But I'm totally in for samosas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home