Tuesday, October 03, 2006

pierogi, intact!

I live in a Polish neighbourhood but can never have the pierogi around because they don't make them vegan. At Sunny Cafe they serve vegan pierogi though, they make them with spelt flour and fill them with tofu, sweet potato and onion.

Stuffed some with potato, cabbage and non-cheeze:



















Made some with heart shaped cookie cutter. This is sweet potato and cilantro:
















Sealed the deal!














Put some aside to freeze:




Posted by Picasa










After I boiled them, I pan-fried them in a bit of oil and balsamic vinegar, then served them with Sour Supreme. I liked the sweet potato best!

















The store was out of veggie ground round, I think that would be a yummy stuffing, too. I read that someone made pierogi with peanut butter and jam! I'd like to try that, too.

I liked playing with the dough! The first time I made pierogi (just a few days ago), they broke open when I boiled them. This time I was careful not to roll the dough too thin and sealed the edges well, and they stayed intact!

8 Comments:

At October 03, 2006 12:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look so-ooooo good!!
You can never go wrong with sweet potato.

 
At October 03, 2006 2:43 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

this is michelle c. AND michelle l. here:

michelle c: oh, those look great! i love the heart shaped cookie cutter! we've got sweet potato here -- might try that, too.

michelle l: I *heart* the hearts too! That's all.

 
At October 03, 2006 3:36 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Hi Michelle x2! I've been digging hearts since my cardiac surgery. They're everywhere, I love 'em!

 
At October 03, 2006 8:25 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

Too cute! Looks like you used some whole wheat in the dough, was it pretty dense for you, too?

Ruthie

 
At October 03, 2006 11:31 PM, Blogger vania said...

i love the hearts too and the sweet potato idea. i was in your neck of the woods today for a meeting and saw a sign for periogies and decided to make mine tomorrow night. Now, if only i could remember how to spell pierogies...

 
At October 04, 2006 9:51 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Ruthie: Yes I used whole wheat flour but didn't find it too dense. I added a bit more water than the recipe called for though.

Vania: I spell it different every time!

 
At October 04, 2006 11:06 AM, Blogger stagflation said...

I like the idea peanut butter and jam. I was also thinking pie filling. Maybe blueberry. Yum!

 
At October 05, 2006 12:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need some right now! damn! I wish I was in T.O right now yuuuuuuuuuummmm!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home