Monday, October 02, 2006

Introducing... me! And some bugsy pierogi



Hello! This is my first post, sorry about all the pictures... but I had a lot of fun! (oh and all my pictures are blurry, I'll get better at that. :))




I made my pierogi a little bugsy by using half carrots. I made a triple recipe (I think, I don't usually measure things... I also don't usually read recipes the whole way through.) I also wanted to use some carrots because I currently have more carrots in my fridge than probably anyone without a juicer. (I wasn't finished putting up my groceries when I started cooking... I didn't use nutritional yeast or sesame oil in the recipe though.




Husband clicked me chopping onions. This is post near dismemberment of my left middle fingertip and pre tearing up and having to take a five minute break from the onions.





Onions sauteing (in olive oil) and homemade baked beans cooking. Yumm dinner smells delicious!









Kitchen Aid Armed and Ready to make a mean pierogi filling.








Yummm. I made the dough with 1/2 whole wheat flour. It was dense and I needed mas agua than the recipe suggested.








All my pierogi were twice as big as the recipe suggests. I made one recipe worth tonight and it made about 12 big-ish pierogi. Little ball of filling on "circle" of dough (I am circle impaired).





Mutant-shaped (due to circle impairment) pierogi awaiting sudden boiling water sauna. (The boiling pierogi were not much to look at, no picture)








Pierogi after sauteing. I kinda burnt some of them. Oh well, still yummy!







Le Dinner Perfecte. Two big bugsy pirogies, homemade baked beans, and broccoli. I loved it. Husband gave it an 80%. He said it was bland and he hates carrots (duh). I told him that there are two versions in the fridge... one with chipotle and black beans and one with peas and curry powder. He said "Those may get a 90%" He then proceeded to eat TEN of the "bland" ones. Ha!



"Indian" and "Mexican" with their appropriate dough balls. Can't wait till tomorrow night! :) And I can't wait till next weeks' cook a long! I'll post less pictures then, I promise. :)

9 Comments:

At October 02, 2006 2:17 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

welcome! i think the pictures are GREAT, but then again, i _also_ post alot of pictures!

i can't wait to try the pierogies!

 
At October 02, 2006 4:21 AM, Blogger mishka said...

wow! what a great first post. I am also a picture-o-plenty poster, but my camera is broken right now. I wonder if that's part of the reason I haven't been as active lately...

I love how you played with the fillings!

 
At October 02, 2006 6:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruthie

This is a great post. Love your comments. Keep the pictures. It really makes it fun.

D

 
At October 02, 2006 8:21 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Great job, Ruthie! I made them on the weekend, too, but will try again tonight for more picturesque results. Welcome aboard!

 
At October 02, 2006 10:04 AM, Blogger Ruthie said...

LOL My pierogis were not picturesque-- they were so mutant looking! I knew that would happen. Any stuffed thing I make turns out a little freakish looking. :) I really have to work on focus of my camera, too. It might help if I cook while there's a little natural light and not at 9 PM! :)

Thanks for the comments, y'all. I had a BLAST. I even sent the permalink to all my friends and relations LoL.

I'm thinking about making a chipotle pineapple sauce for the texmexican (or maybe pineapply avocado? yum!) and some chutney or something for my samosa-like ones. They seem to beg for sweet dipness. Does anyone have a recipe for that sauce they serve with the papadum lentil wafer things at Indian resturants? Its sweet and purplish and thin. (actually I think it's mint and tamarind chutney, I just looked it up) If anyone knows a recipe that would be AWESOME.

 
At October 02, 2006 10:44 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Mine actually opened up when I boiled them! Fine for eating but not pretty.

 
At October 02, 2006 10:46 AM, Blogger Carla said...

Maybe I rolled the dough too thin...

 
At October 02, 2006 10:32 PM, Blogger Ruthie said...

hmm, I wetted the edges and then pinched them pretty tightly shut. I also tried pressing them with the tines of a fork (ugly) and rolling the seam over and pinching it. These all seemed to work. Only one of mine opened and I think it's because I stabbed it with the slotted spoon. My dough was thin, but not crepe thin. Thinner than tortilla, though.

 
At October 03, 2006 11:32 PM, Blogger vania said...

Welcome to our 'club!' I just got a kitchen aid mixer and you inspired me to use mine. Here's hoping they turn out as good as yours and the others' have!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home