Thursday, July 06, 2006

Moroccan Stew with Couscous

I was looking forward to this recipe since I'd tried a Moroccan stew a few months ago that was really tasty, and it felt like time to try the stew again.

Moroccan Stew in the skillet

We used orange and red peppers, and I added a few sun-dried tomatoes. We didn't have all the spices available so I just used lots of cumin, some ginger, 4 cloves of garlic, tumeric and cinnamon. The raisins were omitted and we added chopped cashews to the whole wheat couscous.


Moroccan Stew with Couscous

It was pretty bland despite the amount of cumin, garlic and tumeric. As I was eating, I remembered that the other recipe I tried used canned tomatoes, which would have been a great addition to the flavour. There's a lot left over for lunch tomorrow, and I will probably add salt and garlic to bump the flavour up a bit.

What I think would have improved this recipe: more salt (says the salt-a-holic), cooking vegetables and/or couscous in vegetable broth, adding tomatoes and more garlic.

According to my calendar, tomorrow is Friday - anyone have a recipe they'd like to share for next week? Don't be shy!

3 Comments:

At July 07, 2006 10:49 AM, Blogger Carla said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At July 07, 2006 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, still out of town (vacation - hooray!) but back in the states (ho hum), so it'll be late tonight or tomorrow that i get back to nyc and get the recipe done...but i'm excited to try it and am having a salt renaissance, so i'll be adding more salt!

 
At July 07, 2006 3:18 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Yum! Cashews are a great addition to almost anything, good idea! I didn't have all the spices either, but it turned out alright.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home