Monday, January 21, 2008

How bout some soup?

Maybe I'm a wimp, but the weather here is so nippy I just want to curl up with a book and sip--or spoon, I guess--something piping hot..so how bout some creamy tomato soup? This isn't especially vegan (or innovative), not an altered classic or meat substitute or anything. But it's quick and simple; I've made it a few times now and am really enjoying it. Maybe you will too! :)
"Measurements" are approximate; I tend to just toss things in until it tastes right. The amounts I'm giving make enough for about 3-4 bowls, I'd say. SO, gather up:

  • 1 cup "milk"
  • 1 can (~15 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1 vegetable bullion cube
  • a couple bay leaves
  • a few spoonfuls nutritional yeast flakes
  • a few spoonfuls oat bran
  • a couple celery stalks, chopped
  • a few green onions (green & white parts), chopped
  • garlic powder
  • salt & pepper

Bring the "milk" to a boil; make sure it doesn't scald or boil over. Toss in the bullion cube, reduce the heat. Add everything else except the oat bran. Let it all bubble and simmer for a while, about 30 minutes. Pick out the bay leaves and stick it in a blender. As it's pureeing, add in the oat bran a spoonful at a time until you get a good consistency. And that's it! I recommend eating it up with some "cheese" shredded on top and rye bread & baby carrots on the side. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now. :)

2 Comments:

At January 22, 2008 3:20 PM, Blogger affectioknit2 said...

I printed out both new recipes and will try to make them tomorrow.

Thanks,

Teresa

 
At January 22, 2008 9:36 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Baby, it's cold outside here, too! I'll make this soon. Oat bran in soup? Does it turn out like bits of barley?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home