Sunday, September 30, 2007

Seitan and Mushroom Stroganoff

I hosted my parents for dinner recently and wanted to make something they are familiar with, but with a vegan flair. So, after a bit of searching through my various cookbooks and on-line, i found the perfect recipe - PPK's Seitan and Portobello Mushroom Stroganoff!

I haven't had the meat version since i was a girl and my parents have never had seitan before, but judging by their compliments, this recipe gives the meat version a run for its money. On a cool Fall night, this is a perfect dish to warm and fill you up. I followed the recipe to a T for once, with my mother watching me for most of it. No pressure!

It calls for fresh thyme and Burgundy cooking wine, and it's definitely worth it to use them. The fresh herb really enhances the flavour, and brings it all together, and the wine is just what's in the meat one so my mom was happy at the 'authenticity' of the dish.

Unfortunately, i only got a couple of photos, so here's one. I served the sour cream on the side. This dish makes a lot - so perfect for dinner parties. If you're not planning such a feast, i'd even quarter it.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At October 01, 2007 10:02 AM, Blogger affectioknit2 said...

That looks great - I'll have to wait to try it this weekend - maybe Friday - I've got a meeting of some sort every night this week - Arghh!

 
At October 01, 2007 11:35 AM, Blogger Liminal Me said...

I've made this recipe before for myself and two omnivores. They liked it better than me (!) but we all concluded it's a great recipe worth making again. Creamy and tasty. The peas are delicious in it. Three cheers for the PPK!

 
At October 04, 2007 10:20 AM, Blogger Pink Theory said...

Hi there! I've made this too and it is total comfort food! Looks great!

 
At October 05, 2007 10:14 PM, Blogger Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

I don't even like mushrooms that much and that looks AWESOME, I am totally makin' some soon!! :)

 
At October 06, 2007 12:15 AM, Blogger TB said...

This is so weird but earlier today I suddenly had a craving for mushroom stroganoff! I've only had the beef one like once in my life as a small child, so it's weird that I would crave it but even weirder (or, really, cooler) that I happened upon your post today! I'm going to make this ASAP! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

 
At October 07, 2007 1:15 AM, Blogger betsy said...

that looks great. i haven't had real stroganoff since i was little either. i'll have to try this. probably for a special ocassion, though; fresh herbs & cooking wine aren't usually allowed for in my budget. :)

 
At November 11, 2007 6:56 PM, Blogger shebytches said...

I'm drooling right now!!!!!

Sorry I've been absent, things have been chaos and soon I will be back in the land of the posting of the food!

xo

 
At November 18, 2007 2:21 PM, Blogger Carla said...

Good idea! Nice to have something hearty enough that the omnivores don't feel like they didn't get enough to eat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home